How quiet will it be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I must thank you all at whis forum. I really enjoy reading must of the stuff her. Well after reading about the GainClone I decided to build one of my own and so have I done now.
I have only used 5 components. A 220k resistor from pin 8 to pin 3 and another at 10k from pin 3 to a 4,7 uF cap that is connected to the volym pot and of course a LM3805.
Everything works great, but if I disconnect the input and start turning upp the volume the GC starts to hum a litle bit, is this normal or is it some kind of disturbence or osiolation?
If this is normal, then there is no point in trying to get rid of it, but if this isn't normal then I have a little chalange ahead.

/MMicke

Where am I supose to connect the resistance?
I have attached a drawing of my circet.

Attachments

• gainclone.jpg
    gainclone.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 282
OK re read your post, you are using a pot @ input.I would check the grounding wires and if the hum (no input ) isint too great then it should be ok. Sounds like a stability problem with the inputs not connected, so just dont turn up the volume with no inputs.
ron

[/QUOTE] Everything works great, but if I disconnect the input

So what are you disconnect it for? You usually have some source connected to the amp,so if there is no hum when the source is connected why bother?
My gain clone is dead quiet on 95db speakers,even when I put my ear into the speaker,but I always care about proper earthing and grounding.
Bartek

Yea , proper method should be to power off anyway before you connect or disconnect inputs.I am using battery power and hear nothing when connected but nothing going into inputs till about 5 o clock on the input pot then a very very faint hum.
ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.