Resistor values?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is kind of a follow up to my type of resistor post from last week, although I guess I should have asked this question first. :idea:

The question is, what value resistors are you guys using in your gainclones, and why, if you are using a "non standard" value.

There were a couple of threads that led to this question. One was a recent one here, http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17383&perpage=15&pagenumber=5
where Peter posted the value of his feedback resistor.

I also saw some posts, I think it was in the mono block thread, where there was a discussion of what resistor value to use to ground the non inverting input. Seems like people who changed it to be the same value as the feedback resistor were happy with the results, and it lowered the DC offset.

TIA for any advice you can give me.
Of course, pretty soon I will have to stop asking about them, and actually build one ;) . I have already ordered resistors, so this is not going to help me right away, but I may play with the different values in the future.

Randy

I also saw some posts, I think it was in the mono block thread, where there was a discussion of what resistor value to use to ground the non inverting input. Seems like people who changed it to be the same value as the feedback resistor were happy with the results, and it lowered the DC offset.

Hi Randy, I think that you have answered your own question. While it's good to fully research anything that you intend to build, sometimes the questions actually get in the way of actually doing anything.

With so few parts in the GC, all you need to know is that two resistors set the gain of the amp and the ones that you see used (usually 10K and 220-300K) have been found to work well.

The other (when used) from non-inverting to ground is there to reduce DC offset.

As you say, just build one using one of the proven designs used by others, get it working and then you can move to the next stage of experimenting and tweaking. ;)

Nuuk said:

Hi Randy, I think that you have answered your own question. While it's good to fully research anything that you intend to build, sometimes the questions actually get in the way of actually doing anything.

With so few parts in the GC, all you need to know is that two resistors set the gain of the amp and the ones that you see used (usually 10K and 220-300K) have been found to work well.

The other (when used) from non-inverting to ground is there to reduce DC offset.

As you say, just build one using one of the proven designs used by others, get it working and then you can move to the next stage of experimenting and tweaking. ;)

Hi Nuuk,
Thanks for the response.
And yes, I know I need to start building, I tend to over research these projects, so they take a long time to complete. But, my current excuse is I am still waiting for some of the parts. I have some stuff, but have been ordering things piecemeal, and am waiting for the last few parts to arrive. After that, my last excuse is gone.

Randy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.