The controversy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
In this case I'll name my product just Amp ;)

Here's a bright idea :idea: with a nice French flair. Call it, L'Amp. :)

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 646
Peter, No its not

Peter said:
The parts choice I'm using is proprietary and that creates my design.

Well, its not proprietary any more. I think the point is anything may be copied, unless its:
1. patented, and to get one of those you need to come up with something new and nonobvious;
2. a trade secret or "proprietary" and to protect something here you need to keep it secret. The fact that the amp is capable of reverse engineering means its not secret and not protected by trade secret.
3. trade dress, meaning its appearance is associated with a source of the goods, i.e. a red wavy line on a soda bottle is associated with a company called Coke. Here 47 Labs has a unique trade dress associated with their company, its probably protectible, but the copy is not close enough (probably) to cause a problem.
4. Trademark-- only protects the name not the thing sold, so go ahead and change it if audiosource gets interested.

I think you are fine, good luck and nice work.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
randytsuch said:
According to his "review", the gaincard was better, but it did not say why.

but the same goes with the "best sounding resistor" crowd as well. There are just so many iterations of the design and it is hard to argue that the GainCard had the original idea in terms of schematics - that goes to National that had put the design in the public domain in the first place, :).

It is the implementation that can be patented. and i think Peter has enough originality in his design not to worry about this non-sense.

yeah!

I posted on AA but all I have to say is that this is the easiest case to make. Somewhere in NYAGC you can find the clone that i built that looks exactly like this. except the tubing i found was 6"x2" cross section.

There are only 2 other facets that can be argued which is the circuit (which is a very basic op amp circuit) and parts selection (which peter daniel has done meticulously and documented extensively over hte last several months (year?)).

On another note (as i'm still on a high from it... ) I recently (last night) got engaged. Soon waf will potentially become part of my life... Arrgh!! She's worth it ;-). BUT.... it would be nice to have a purdy amp like the AMP-1 to avoid WAF problems (hint hint wedding present.... :-D ).

brent

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know that the case design is questionable, and I am not surprised by that

Peter,

From your work background you are an aluminum guy... you went down to the aluminum shop and got pieces that would work together given the basic concept, and did your usual 1st rate implementation. The gainCard looks like a kludge in comparison... be proud.

dave

Peter,

Congratulations for your amps, are great. I wish you good luck with your project.

You maybe agree with me that the looks are very similar, and that was strongly inspired by the 47labs thing. That this is where it finishes it's relation or dependency we all here know.
Nobody can patent the apple of Newton, nor the Gaincard was an apple not bitten by Eva, but an easy circuit extracted from National or anyone else that was got out like a rabbit from the hat. You should have expected those comments, and now I understand the snake and oil thing. If you had put some of this liquid inside the cones, the comments would have been "Wonderful what the magical cones made of Strangeous-Military-and-Mars-approved-plasma did to the sound!!"
Your honesty and your added merit to the product makes it a five stars, congratulations.
My only concern is that you'll get too much succes and you won't have time to this forum.

Regards, ;)

There are no two equal amps

Peter, your problem is that you didn't pay for your amp to be reviewed and now they're striking back, hahahahaha!!!:devily:

I tell you also that from a liable source I was told that National Semiconductors is going to sew you for using a product of theirs in your amp.:eek: :devily:

My god, one of these days one can't even use a diode, it's aready a copy...

Let them talk, man.

randytsuch said:
I want to know more about the Ed Sawyer guy, who claims to have compared the gaincard to the amp-1.

Peter asked him where he heard it, unless he knows Srajan I guess there are not a lot of amp-1's out there to hear.

According to his "review", the gaincard was better, but it did not say why. It sounded like he would have liked the gaincard better no matter what, from the tone of his review.

Randy

Can you say "damage control"

:cool:

Hi!

Another name suggestion...

ICeAmp
or
ICeAMP
or
nICeAMP

:)

for a nice amp. When I first read about your price suggestions for your implementation in the big GC thread some months ago, I also thought that that's a whole lot of money (since I had just finished mine for about 90 - 100 €, make that 115 € if you don't count samples).

But after recalculating with those high end parts you use, assuming the hours of assembling and doing basic economical forward calculations, I think that your price is alright... :nod:

Which does not mean that I would ever use such high end (and high priced) components, I think I'll stuck to the mid-price range...

Keep up the work (and also get into other amps, as well, I'd like to see some new stuff, in the "case-field"... :cool: )...

Bye,

Arndt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.