The controversy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No controversy

Its like saying Jesse James copied Arlen Ness, if you are into custom motorcycles.

Both use the basic Harley (or S&S) motor (National's LM3875). Both use solid tail frames that might appear the same (similar cosmetics). Both are taylored to appeal to different buyers who appreciate the *differences* (different circuit topologies) and are willing to vote with thier ears and dollars.

Thanks for giving everyone another choice, Peter! You're the Gainclone Jesse James (but without the tattoos). :nod:

Steve

I want to know more about the Ed Sawyer guy, who claims to have compared the gaincard to the amp-1.

Peter asked him where he heard it, unless he knows Srajan I guess there are not a lot of amp-1's out there to hear.

According to his "review", the gaincard was better, but it did not say why. It sounded like he would have liked the gaincard better no matter what, from the tone of his review.

Randy

Surely there are only so many shapes that you can practically make an amp casing and the Gaincard wasn't the first with the 'dual mono' look anyway.

All I can say Peter, is it is lucky that you didn't copy 'my' design of casing for your PSU ;) Then again somebody would compare that to the M-F X series cases :bawling:

Now I could put a list up here of genuine things to complain about if these people have really got nothing better to do but none of them concern the GC in any shape or form. :nod:

Peter you had best expect this kind of flack.Even i have sold some clones locally as everyone that hears my GC/Fe-103e horn combo wants a set.
The basic circuit(being discussed here)i was using 15 years ago on a LM741 op amp for amplification of an ir signal and the circuit has been around for a long long time.
You took an idea and went 1 step ahead ,nothing wrong with that.Sure the case is based on the same design principal but so is just about everything sold on the marketplace.
ron
Any stagnent design will be replaced given time.(me)

you took their schematic

a joke?

i claim copyright on the schematic below and all circuits that can be derivated from it ....

Attachments

• unbenannt.jpg
    unbenannt.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,371
That has happen to me before in other comercial endeabours, it souldn't bother since they will always through stones to the new small entrepenours.

It also means that your making waves and people are talking about the product. It would be bad news if you go unnoticed.

cowanrg said:
well, you took their schematic

For the record, I don't even know what their schematic looks like.

I took Thorsten's schematic and modified it. But, since it is IC chip implementation, anybody could actually do the same.

The parts choice I'm using is proprietary and that creates my design.

I know that the case design is questionable, and I am not surprised by that. I knew it from the beginning. The question is : will it stand it's own in a marketplace?

HAY WAIT i designed that circuit!!!!!
hahahahahahaha
Years ago i had to review for purchase some ultrasonic scopes for testing ferrous castings for flaws.
Everyone looked the same, had basically the same controls, same boxy shape and all operated with the same basic principals.One made by Automation Industries (Sperry) even had a kinda racing stripe down the top LOL.Well i asked the sales rep why, his response was "we wanted it to look different".I ended up going with Kruatkramer (sp) as the controls made it clear what the function of each knob was. Sometimes its the small things that make a difference.
ron

i should have reworded "you took their schematic". i meant you took the one from national's datasheet and modified it (as well as thorstens). thats all ANY gainclone is, a modification of the base schematic.

as for the case, it just so happens that it looks very similar, and an external power supply is of course the best way to make an amplifier, so you both had the idea. with a design so simple, there is little to modify or change.

im not downing you at all, im just saying, its the fact of the matter. you took something with very little variables, and made it rightfully your own, yet becuase of the lack of variables, it comes out similar.

If Burger Kings can ride on Mc Donald's shirt tail and sell cheese burgers, then I guess there is nothing wrong with Peter making his AMP1 case similar to the GainCard case. It is Wendys that
tried to be different and serve cheese burgers with a square meat patty. The market place has tons
of products looking like the original with some
differences: from cars to jeans to shoes to soft
drinks. Ever wonder why all soda cans have same shape and volume? It is the free market entreprise and anything this not copy protected/patented
can be emulated.

Peter, since you did not name your company 74Lab
or 48Lab or Lab47 and you did not name your amp
GainCube or AmpCard you have nothing to worry
about from 47Lab. There is however a "Amp One"
amp made by a home theater company called "AudioSource". You may get phone calls from their
lawyers. Toyota had to rename their latest truck
line from "T150" to "Tundra" after Ford's lawyers
came knocking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.