lm4780 2.1 volume control? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2010, 12:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default lm4780 2.1 volume control?

I am hoping someone can help me (and I searched the forums and google to no avail) I am about to put together an lm4780 dual mono amp, but in the future I may decide to add an extra mono channel using one lm4780 to drive a subwoofer.

My question is how would I connect the rca signal to the extra chip (subwoofer mono chip) is it ok to split the signal coming into the amp, to a seperate volume pot for sub volume control, or would this mess up impedance etc...?

The signal coming into the amp would not be going through a pre amp but direct from a DAC.
Old 25th September 2010, 07:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You'd take one channel spilt into two using a low pass filter on one line to provide the signal you need or the bass amp. You could even design the third amp to be active filter/amp.

Last edited by Mankysteve; 25th September 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankysteve View Post
You'd take one channel spilt into two using a low pass filter on one line to provide the signal you need or the bass amp. You could even design the third amp to be active filter/amp.
If I take just one of the stereo channel, then surely if the lower bass signal happens to be on the other channel in a certain piece of music then I would not hear it ?
Old 25th September 2010, 10:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In theory yes. In practice everything below 100 Hz is usually the same on both channels anyway.
Old 26th September 2010, 12:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificblue View Post
In theory yes. In practice everything below 100 Hz is usually the same on both channels anyway.
Ah thats ok then, but wouldn't splitting a signal into two, make one of the stereo channels slightly quieter?
Old 26th September 2010, 12:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

In theory your amp should have infinite input resistance so there shouldn't be any voltage drop. In reality you will loose a small amount of volume, how big or small this would be I'm not 100% never tried 2.1 my self so I don't really know.

I Can't think of any way of mixing both channels for a middle on with out loosing stereo ability.

Also in this case it's not true 2.1 but that's not really of importance.

Last edited by Mankysteve; 26th September 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 26th September 2010, 07:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjuk81 View Post
Ah thats ok then, but wouldn't splitting a signal into two, make one of the stereo channels slightly quieter?
Yes, to such a small extent that you won't notice any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankysteve View Post
I Can't think of any way of mixing both channels for a middle on with out loosing stereo ability.
You are probably refering to crosstalk through the mixer. It does usually not affect the imaging too much. If you want to calm your conscience, use a stereo low pass and put the mixer after that. That restricts the crosstalk to the region below the filter frequency. It takes a few more op amp channels than the usual setup with the mixer before a mono low pass.
Old 26th September 2010, 04:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Could I not take both stereo signals and use 2 resistors, and take a signal from the middle of the resistors?

or use this --|SMC-1|AUDIO CONVERTER, STEREO/MONO | CPC
Old 26th September 2010, 09:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You get cross talk between the two channels. say if you've gt a part of music where there nothing on the right channel and something on the left you'd get the left channel on the right.
Old 26th September 2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You need a virtual earth summing op-amp circuit otherwise you will corrupt your stereo signals. Or take a look at the sub-woofer controller project on my website

Hide this!Advertise here!