MyRef-C BOM Consolidation PLEASE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished my BrianGT amps yesterday and am very impressed. Fantastic sound for the price, a little time, some solder and help from the boards.

So now I'm really anxious to get going on the RefCs. I need some help in combining/understanding the available BOMs. It appears there is a full list of parts required in addition to some BOMs that look like preferencial replacements for a higher quality output.

I am willing to pay for top quality components for the cleanest sounding unit I can build. My problem is not wanting to order elements for the build and find out tomorrow there is a substitute part that gives better results.

I am aware the entire Ref-C domain is evolving and several builders have differing paths to sound nirvana.:cloud9: From what I read, there are many very knowledgeable folks contributing to this project. I however, (as a semi-nubee) am just plain confused as to what I should and should not purchase.

If a couple of you experienced builders could get together and make a list of those changes/additions that are commonly agreed to be improvements from the time of the first group buy, I would jump for joy and blow the dust off my VISA card.

Again, I have no hesitation to make valid and useful modifications suggested on this forum - after I get a couple units built. But I and probably many others just need help to get started as of the current time frame.

Thanks All

So now I'm really anxious to get going on the RefCs. I need some help in combining/understanding the available BOMs. It appears there is a full list of parts required in addition to some BOMs that look like preferencial replacements for a higher quality output.

Not so difficult...

There's the TP original BOM (with Wimas)

The last TP BOM (with AVX BQ instead of Wimas)

The first GB BOM (with low cost parts)

The Ultimate GB BOM (with premium parts from my BOM and Madisonears'one)

The Ultimate BOM for PCB only buyers (with standard and premium parts but available from Mouser/Digikey plus further improvements and suggested premium parts)

:D

I am willing to pay for top quality components for the cleanest sounding unit I can build. My problem is not wanting to order elements for the build and find out tomorrow there is a substitute part that gives better results.

I am aware the entire Ref-C domain is evolving and several builders have differing paths to sound nirvana. From what I read, there are many very knowledgeable folks contributing to this project. I however, (as a semi-nubee) am just plain confused as to what I should and should not purchase.

Start from my BOM but instead of standard resistors buy PRPs and Takmans (where suggested in BOM), the BlackGate for C9 and the Mundorf Zn for C3.

A friend of mine gone beyond with resistors and uses Rikens for R7 (it could be an improvement)

Note:

The attached BOM is a new version, C7 changes back to 100nF MKP2.

The FKP2 was way better but the 10nF value gives a sligthly unbalanced sound.

Attachments

• My_Ref Ultimate Rev C BOM 1.1.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.