i can't believe this works (baby's first gainclone?) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2003, 04:18 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to travis
Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm
Travis,

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
Just some suggestions for your nice Gainclone:

The caps on the little board are input caps, right?
Not PSU, I suppose.
If so, the PSU caps are too far.
At least put some 100~220uf PSU caps on that board, it seams to have space for that.
You have hum because your amp doesn't know the words yet (c) Mr. Feedback.
To eliminate the hum, instead of the independent ground wires you have from the board to the star ground on the case, disconnect those and put a thick and very short wire from one channel's ground point to the other, on the board.
From a mid point of that wire connect just one wire to the star ground on the case.
The same goes to the PSU caps: join the two pins on the caps (+ from one and - from the other) that make the ground and run just one wire to the star ground on the case.
With this, you'll stop the hummmmmm and you'll have two wires removed from your case star ground.
those caps on the board are supply filters. i don't know why i have the big ones next to the transformer and the smaller ones on the board as well. i couldn't decide which ones i wanted to use, and then everything was soldered and was lazy to desolder the big ones.

the four caps on the board are all soldered together and then to the star. the grounds for each channel go to one of the long strips of copper on the board and from about the middled of that strip to the star, so's there's only two wire's from the board to ground, really. it just looks like more. i will turn the seperate wires from the big caps into one with though. thanks man.

Hide this!Advertise here!