i can't believe this works (baby's first gainclone?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i didn't put a volume pot on it cos i thought, hey i can just control the volume with the computer, but the computer volume is on zero right now and the instant message sound clips. i need some attenuation yo. it hums a little bit too, just a little, but i don't even mind. i will build a really nice one next time. please don't make fun of my spring loaded speaker terminals or my mess of a ground point.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Your picture reveals this is not your first attempt. :devilr:
'B' in the left hand corner.
You can certainly be very proud of your amp.
Nice placement of the components.
Maybe turning the trafo a bit could shorten your PSU wires.
I know nothing about gainclones but maybe this could also help reduce hum a bit.

Hugo ;)

Travis,

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
Just some suggestions for your nice Gainclone:

The caps on the little board are input caps, right?
Not PSU, I suppose.
If so, the PSU caps are too far.
At least put some 100~220uf PSU caps on that board, it seams to have space for that.
You have hum because your amp doesn't know the words yet:devily: (c) Mr. Feedback.;)
To eliminate the hum, instead of the independent ground wires you have from the board to the star ground on the case, disconnect those and put a thick and very short wire from one channel's ground point to the other, on the board.
From a mid point of that wire connect just one wire to the star ground on the case.
The same goes to the PSU caps: join the two pins on the caps (+ from one and - from the other) that make the ground and run just one wire to the star ground on the case.
With this, you'll stop the hummmmmm and you'll have two wires removed from your case star ground.

carlosfm said:
Travis,

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
Just some suggestions for your nice Gainclone:

The caps on the little board are input caps, right?
Not PSU, I suppose.
If so, the PSU caps are too far.
At least put some 100~220uf PSU caps on that board, it seams to have space for that.
You have hum because your amp doesn't know the words yet:devily: (c) Mr. Feedback.;)
To eliminate the hum, instead of the independent ground wires you have from the board to the star ground on the case, disconnect those and put a thick and very short wire from one channel's ground point to the other, on the board.
From a mid point of that wire connect just one wire to the star ground on the case.
The same goes to the PSU caps: join the two pins on the caps (+ from one and - from the other) that make the ground and run just one wire to the star ground on the case.
With this, you'll stop the hummmmmm and you'll have two wires removed from your case star ground.

those caps on the board are supply filters. i don't know why i have the big ones next to the transformer and the smaller ones on the board as well. i couldn't decide which ones i wanted to use, and then everything was soldered and was lazy to desolder the big ones.

the four caps on the board are all soldered together and then to the star. the grounds for each channel go to one of the long strips of copper on the board and from about the middled of that strip to the star, so's there's only two wire's from the board to ground, really. it just looks like more. i will turn the seperate wires from the big caps into one with though. thanks man.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.