Cambridge Audio A1 mk3 upgrade mods - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2010, 12:51 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Possibly but that said I will assume that a fare few of those who have used them have modified their circuits extensivly and therefore made them very sensitive to change which will highten chractaeristics of c ertain components (but then I could be wrong)

Tom
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:22 PM   #12
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cool.. I'd still install a DIP adapter so you can swap opams easily. That way you're not heating the opamp with your soldering gun too. If you're referring to THD, in my experience it doesn't correlate to sound quality. I have a preamp, a Morrison elad, which has (had) two AD797's in it, which may still be the lowest noise opamp out there. But it still tends to sound hard and unmusical. So i took them out and put opa627's in there. And while you can tell that it probably has a color to it, to me it sounds waaay better. There probably aint that much difference between it and and the opa2604. Except the price. But i'm curious about the LM4562. I haven't got any new opamps since the companies were still sending out free samples! That's how i got my 627's!
Old 7th December 2010, 11:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Just spent the morning fitting a schaffner mains filter and replacing all the left and right channel screened cables with some very high quality silver coax, also replaced the left and right speaker out wires with same coax (inner and outer twisted togther for each) and ran direct route under PCB.

Will fit the op amps when they arrive from Canada (it was a LOT cheaper than ordering from Farnell)

Tom
Old 9th December 2010, 10:37 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well just changing the cables and adding the filter has brought the mid range right forward, really surprised at the difference has taken some getting used to (not sure if I liked it at first). Seems to have cleaned the treble ever so slightly too, not sure how replacing such short cable could make this much difference.

Will have to see what changing the opamps does when I get them.

Tom
Old 9th December 2010, 01:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised Tom. I like using filters, but I'm dubious about cables. But there are a lot of DIYers who swear by better cables so there you go. Looks like a good project. Barry
Old 9th December 2010, 01:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Well some of the guys on here have got seriously modified kit which I would expect may show up more characteristics of certain components incl cables.
Nor sure if my system is sensitive enough for that (yet) but who knows.

So far even though I haven't done much very please with my little project.

Tom
Old 9th December 2010, 02:20 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I use LM4562 on my cd upgrades now and I reckon it's a superb op-amp for the price. Of course you could fit dogs and go upmarket with 2 single op-amps per channel but it's costly and i'm not sure it's worth it. I think if you can fit two 10,000uf caps in place of those four 2200ufs you will get get great results but you might have to mess around to get them in. Barry
Old 13th December 2010, 07:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

My amp is a V2 and has two lots of 4 caps not 2 single caps.

Tom
Old 14th December 2010, 01:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Received op amps yesterday and just finished fitting them, nice straight forward job.

Luckily I can do this in my break time at work, will leave the amp powered on to give the op amps a little burn in time until I go home to try it.

So watch this space....

Tom
Old 14th December 2010, 07:01 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Base is tighter and a tad more of it, mids and highs a bit cleaner with a bit more detail or may be that's because they're cleaner, at first my impression was the sound is harder but then I realised it's because the sound is more natural.

I suppose the sound will improve slightly as the op amps get run in but so far very impressed and pleased with my little project.

Will be fitting more of same op amps in my cd payer tomorrow.

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!