First official review of the GainClone - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2003, 08:43 AM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Good luck, Peter. I hope you sell a ton... i like the bit about the "design team"

dave
Old 7th July 2003, 10:59 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Peter, well done!

To be honest, I can understand some of the sentiments on pricing. But, having tried this route also once, I KNOW how much effort and money you need to put in, before having the foggiest idea that you get anything back. Then, if the train starts rolling in earnest, so will your expenses!

In that light, I think the price is entirely reasonable, and I hope you sell a ton of it. Looking forward to your next creation.

Jan Didden
Old 7th July 2003, 01:11 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Congrats, Peter! A beautiful implementation, as usual. Obviously, it works (I read the review)! I wish you the best of luck. I hope you sell all you care to build!
Old 7th July 2003, 02:30 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Way to go Peter! Congrats.

Andrew
Old 7th July 2003, 02:37 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

pick me Peter!!!!....I want to try one...maybe I can get some use out of this meter nobody wanted..LOL
Old 7th July 2003, 02:52 PM   #26
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Again, it's your turn to leave us all impressed...
Congrats!

/Hugo
Old 8th July 2003, 11:52 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default There's a man with a soldering iron in his hand!

Peter,

You may already cover this but I do not think it will hurt for me to mention it here I hope. Regarding the warranty that AMP-1 provide how do you ensure there is no denied lose soldering iron at work and return to you after the warranty coverage to clean up or replace then faulty parts(expensive ones)?

again congrates

Chris
Old 8th July 2003, 02:06 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Do you mean that there might be a loose solder joint after 10 years, and then what happens?

Currently I'm doing soldering myself and after first applying solder, I wet all joints with reisin and resolder again. This provides not only for a better looking job, but also more reliable.

We were also thinking about mounting 2 spare chips on a front panel (on the inside), so in case someone needs a chip replaced after few years, they would be still available (inside the amp)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th July 2003, 02:19 PM   #29
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fedde
I would not do that. Just save enough chips in a locker for repairs. Buy them in large quantities. Most people will not need a repair, so the two chips are wasted in that case. Though the advantage is that you can repair with chips from the same production line (and moment).

Fedde
Old 8th July 2003, 02:35 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Post #28

Do you mean that there might be a loose solder joint after 10 years, and then what happens?

Currently I'm doing soldering myself and after first applying solder, I wet all joints with reisin and resolder again. This provides not only for a better looking job, but also more reliable.
Chances are very good that there will never be a problem, as long as it is soldered well in the first place. Have you ever tried soldering up an assembly with the chip/resistors/caps and potting it in epoxy? It would guarantee that you would not have a broken lead in the future, and would also damp out resonances in the assembly.

Hide this!Advertise here!