Power Supply Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2010, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply Questions

I would like to be sure that I am connecting the wires from the transformer to the correct locations on the rectifier board and power module.

Information off the transformer
Attachment 186180

Connections to the rectifer board
Attachment 186181

Connection to the power module
Attachment 186182

For the power module, I have connected the two negative (0) wires together and they are going into the (N) terminal. The two power (25V) wires together go into the (L) terminal.

I want to make sure things are wired properly, so not to blow it up or worse, get shocked.

Thanks.
Old 1st September 2010, 09:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can't read your attachments. Comes up saying Invalid Atachment Specified.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Relinked

I would like to be sure that I am connecting the wires from the transformer to the correct locations on the rectifier board and power module.

Information off the transformer
DSC06173.JPG

Connections to the rectifer board
DSC06176.JPG

Connection to the power module
DSC06179.JPG

For the power module, I have connected the two negative (0) wires together and they are going into the (N) terminal. The two power (25V) wires together go into the (L) terminal.

I want to make sure things are wired properly, so not to blow it up or worse, get shocked.

Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:06 AM   #4
sregor is offline sregor  United States
diyAudio Member

Definitely not correct. Assuming the block with the L and N is the power connection, the Blue and Violet wires should be connected together and go to the L connection, and the Grey (white?) and Brown wires connected together and put on the N connector (actually, they can go either way as long as gray and brown are together and Blue and violet are together) You also may want to put a switch somewhere in there - unless one is built into the power line module. For the secondary connections follow the wiring for this thread - they even use the same black,red, orange and yellow colors. Help with first Power Supply for LM1875 Lastly (and most important) set up a light bulb in line with the ac - more information can be found in the Power supply sticky at the top of the chip amp forum. Good luck with it. BTW, I've made some assumptions about the board and the power line connections but feel pretty correct about it.
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is the LM3875 kit from Peter Daniel. The power entry module is a Q300 from digi-key and it does have a switch. I have read the sticky regarding the power supply and testing it with the light bulb and plan to do so when I get to that point.
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Reaper, please be very careful. As you have it hooked up it is leathal. Please have it checked by a knowledgable person if you are not sure. sregor has put you on the right track but if you are not 100% sure take it to someone who knows this side of DIY and ask them to teach you. Otherwise you may meet your grim namesake.
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

No, you are correct and that is why I ask such questions. This is my first build and first generally is a bit more difficult. The photos so wire placement as nothing has been soldered yet.
Old 2nd September 2010, 04:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Is this now the correct wiring of the power entry module and rectifier bridge?

power entry module
DSC06185.JPG

rectifier bridge
DSC06186.JPG
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I don't think so.

I will leave it to someone in the US to answer as I don't know that form of power entry module. Ours in Aus are different.

I think the rectifier bridge needs the wires in sequence Black, red, orange and yellow. Currently you have Black Orange, yellow red.

A bit of background while you wait

A power transformer has two 'sides'. We call these primary and secondary.

In the US the primary is the one labelled 110 or 115v This side goes in to the household power.

The secondary side is the side that goes into the toys we make. In this case 25V.

When you first connected it you had these the wrong way around. If you put 110V in the secondary you have over 500V coming out the other side.

Please wait for a response from the US. I am sure sregor will answer when he can. Patience is a virtue after all

Terry
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Artie is offline Artie  United States
diyAudio Member

On other thought, you may want to put your geographical location in your profile. People are assuming you're from the US. Are you? It affects how that transformer is wired. (Primary side.)

Hide this!Advertise here!