Which kind of resistor? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2003, 12:07 PM   #11
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Would I have read this earlier...
Build my GCs with the more expensive RC55 type, and just lately refitted my P3A with RC55... cost me about 25€ just for resistors for both sides...
The number one rule in hi-fi Always visit Decibel Dungeon for money saving tips!

Quote:
If those Welwyns won't make a difference in sound, it won't matter, since they look cooler than the normal resistors I used before...
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The RC55C's don't sound any different to the more expensive RC55's but they both sound better than the standard metal film types.
Old 3rd July 2003, 01:43 PM   #12
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Am I the only one using NOS Holcos? I think these will be good for my Proac Response 2.5 clones.
Old 3rd July 2003, 02:30 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by jcarr
As a result, I never agonize over whether I should be using a Riken RMG or a Vishay S102K - at least, not in my own designs.

Hi Jonathan,
Your post in AA has been an inspiration to me to try and listen to different resistors brands
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/15679.html

As to the nude Vishays, I remember you posted some comments on them in this forum, but now I also remember that your attenuator had SMD resistors indeed. Sorry for any confusion.

For those in search of better resistors, one more link from AA:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/93363.html
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd July 2003, 03:23 PM   #14
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Dear Peter: As you noticed, that AA post was about re-balancing someone else's design - not my own. So far, I have felt no need nor desire to use any Rikens in my own designs. But for other designs, they have their uses.

hth, jonathan carr
Old 3rd July 2003, 03:53 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default NOS Holco's

Quote:
Originally posted by tiroth
Am I the only one using NOS Holcos? I think these will be good for my Proac Response 2.5 clones.
I still have a large pile of these left over from my glass bottle circuit projects. They are better in solid state than tube circuit because they get very noisey with time at higher voltages.
I am fairly cheap, in my Zen V4 AB 1/2 watt carbon comps were used for everything but the feedback. Here a NOS 1 watt Holco was used. An H2 I think.
The feedback position is fairly critical, but I think that resistor sound is a very small part of the overall puzzle.
To me, the use of resistors that are non-magnetic is more important than the brand or type of material.
But, I am biased, in quanities of 50 or more, the AB carbon comp 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors are 4 cents each at my favorite surplus store. A GC requires less than 1.00 worth. I always purchase at least twice as many as needed, then match them up with a VOM. These seem to be +/- 10% even the gold band tolerance. A lot of times I will use 6 to get a matched pair.
But measuring resistors has proven to be a good thing even when using tighter tolerance resistors. I have found a small percentage of the NOS Holco that measured way off the stamped value. I used to use them in everything and never bothered checking the value. I had read them measured =/- 0.25%. They are tight but there are random flyers, either mislabeled or just culls.
I recommendation that every resistor used in the simple circuits of DIY be measured in value prior to use. This may solve some of those unexplained projects that never work just right.

George
Old 3rd July 2003, 04:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcarr in AA post
If anything, it is probably because they are simply looking for a different kind of sound than you are.
Jonathan,
You certainly agree, that they (Rikens, Caddocks or generic type) provide different sound in some locations. In GC we are basically dealing with one critical location and the sound changes considerably, depending on a parts choice. I'm not trying to promote one brand over the other, but simply indicate, that experimentation is worth the trouble.

Since there is not much opportunity to improve the schematic design and PCB is not required here, parts become comparatively higher priority
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th July 2003, 12:00 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default and the big one?

And what brand you guy use for the .22 at the output?
In my surround bank (6 GC amps) I need to use the output resistors, due to the long cables that connects to the surround speakers. In the fron channels I can live without them.
Any brand/model suggested to buy in the USA market?

cheers

Ric
Old 4th July 2003, 12:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

Since there is not much opportunity to improve the schematic design and PCB is not required here, parts become comparatively higher priority
Hi Peter,
I really agree with this, hence this thread.

BTW, I got some quotes for naked Vishays,

S102C/K TX2352 220K00 1.0% = $17.16ea.
0.05% = $20.34ea.
0.01% = $21.76ea.

Prices were kind of a surprise to me. The 10K was $7.50, they said higher value resistors cost more. I guess so.

Everyone else,
thanks for the inputs. I was not sure how much response I would get, so thanks for replying.

Randy
Old 4th July 2003, 01:43 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Re: and the big one?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricren
And what brand you guy use for the .22 at the output?

I don't even think you need that resistor. I never used it. Tried it once, but didn't hear any improvement, only the signature of a resistor. It was Mills 5W.

Quote:
Originally posted by randytsuch

Hi Peter,
I really agree with this, hence this thread.

BTW, I got some quotes for naked Vishays,

S102C/K TX2352 220K00 1.0% = $17.16ea.
0.05% = $20.34ea.
0.01% = $21.76ea.

Prices were kind of a surprise to me. The 10K was $7.50, they said higher value resistors cost more. I guess so.

Everyone else,
thanks for the inputs. I was not sure how much response I would get, so thanks for replying.

Randy

With Vishays, the higher the resistance, the higher goes the price. S102 in 200k is around $30, I tried it but didn't like it. Wonder, if somehow I could take that plastic body off?
Old 4th July 2003, 02:18 AM   #20
diyAudio Senior Member

Default DEMOLITIAN MAN...

Hi
Quote:
Wonder, if somehow I could take that plastic body off?
You can....even with a 50% successrate I doubt it's worth it though.

Especially knowing you didn't like 'em all that much in the first place...

I'd rather undress ladies than resistors...

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!