opa544 or LM1875 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2003, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default opa544 or LM1875

I have a nearly completed Elliot Sounds LM1875 circuit board, but have just found a cheap source of opa544 which seems to be a direct replacement (pin wise) for the LM1875. It also seems to sport a FET input which I like the sound of. Can you think of any good reason for not using the OPA544. The only thing I could find on a cursery glance through the datasheet was a higher THD. My experience with the Zen amps has tought me that THD isn't the be all and end all of amp design, especially with FET amps.

Anyone care to mcomment or share their experience. I found the thread on the higher voltage Burr-Browns, but no info on people using the OPA544

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2003, 02:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I only compared LM3875 and OPA549. It was a hard choice, but eventually I chose LM chip as it provided more lively sound while OPA seem to be sounding more "properly", if it's a right description, but without that extra touch.

But some other members, involved in GC building, prefered OPA549, so probably the best is deciding yourself. The difference is not that big anyway and you should enjoy both of them.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd July 2003, 06:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think that I will be happy with this chip. I have just got samples ordered, which National Semiconductors have stopped doing to europe, so I will be even happier at that.
My first attempt was a disaster with a Point to Point Gainclone, but I am hoping for good things when i finally get this up and running in about a week.

shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!