TO-99 to DIP-8 Adapter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2010, 08:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TO-99 to DIP-8 Adapter

Since this is for op-amps, I thought this is probably the place to post it, but I'm not sure.

I recently acquired some LME49710HA (single channel TO-99) op-amps to use in my old cd-player (dual channel DIP-8). Upon searching around, I didn't find much in the way of adapters. I bent the pins of the cans to make them fit in a DIP-8 socket, but would like a more elegant approach. At the same time, I thought I could make a minor improvement in such a case by running separate power lines with a separate (0603 SMD) capacitor on each op-amp (optional). The signal lines all run on the top layer, the power lines and capacitors are on the bottom layer. The board is designed to stand vertically, just as the design looks, using angled pins for the DIP-8. It is about 36mm (1.4") top to bottom.

Here is the layout:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adapter.jpg (28.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg adapter_power.jpg (24.9 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg adapter_signal.jpg (26.5 KB, 274 views)
Old 5th August 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, If you ran IC2 to the upper inputs on IC 3 and IC1 to the upper ones you would have much more even distances to each of teh parts.

Also I would recomend keeping the traces for the power and ground returns close together rather tha running them round the the oposite sides of IC2. This will reduce any crosstalk from the power rails into IC2.

Regadrs,
Andrew
Old 5th August 2010, 09:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah I realized a couple things, so the design is changing. First off, it won't be easy to source/align right angle pins of different lengths to use this vertically. Second, the only easy to find capacitors that are 0603 SMD 0.1uF are ceramic. So the design has been changed to have the DIP-8 in the middle, and the TO-99s on either side with the capacitors between the op-amps and the socket, and mounting will be flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adapter.jpg (42.0 KB, 249 views)
Old 19th September 2011, 10:25 PM   #4
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm very interested in finding adapters for TO99 single to dual DIP8. I wish to use LME49710HA.

I found this adapter on ebay but the guy is now sold out.
Click the image to open in full size.

He doesn't seem to have caps like your design either.

Here is another...
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by HiroPro; 19th September 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are you trying to do what I did here? (I know I soldered them wrong...I had to redo them all)

I believe I got most of my parts from Brown Dog.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
I bent the pins of the cans to make them fit in a DIP-8 socket, but would like a more elegant approach.
Don't see how adding extra solder joints, tracks and pins is a more elegant approach. For many years in the instrumentation industry we just formed and trimmed the pins and stuffed them into the sockets exactly as you have done. Worked for us!
Old 11th October 2011, 09:57 AM   #7
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member

The LME49710HA is a single! How am I supposed to cram two legs into one contact socket! The socket is for a dual/stereo opamp! It would be a real PITA to ram 16 legs into 8 pin socket and they would not line up and could short!
Old 11th October 2011, 11:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post
The LME49710HA is a single! How am I supposed to cram two legs into one contact socket! The socket is for a dual/stereo opamp! It would be a real PITA to ram 16 legs into 8 pin socket and they would not line up and could short!
Aah! my mistake, maybe I should read your posts better!
Old 11th October 2011, 12:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can fit 2 legs in 1 contact socket if they are the flat type of socket. But the LME49710HA sounded very harsh, probably borderline oscillating, when I used that approach.

Hide this!Advertise here!