TO-99 to DIP-8 Adapter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since this is for op-amps, I thought this is probably the place to post it, but I'm not sure.

I recently acquired some LME49710HA (single channel TO-99) op-amps to use in my old cd-player (dual channel DIP-8). Upon searching around, I didn't find much in the way of adapters. I bent the pins of the cans to make them fit in a DIP-8 socket, but would like a more elegant approach. At the same time, I thought I could make a minor improvement in such a case by running separate power lines with a separate (0603 SMD) capacitor on each op-amp (optional). The signal lines all run on the top layer, the power lines and capacitors are on the bottom layer. The board is designed to stand vertically, just as the design looks, using angled pins for the DIP-8. It is about 36mm (1.4") top to bottom.

Here is the layout:

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 557
  • adapter_power.jpg
    adapter_power.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 559
  • adapter_signal.jpg
    adapter_signal.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 528
Hi, If you ran IC2 to the upper inputs on IC 3 and IC1 to the upper ones you would have much more even distances to each of teh parts.

Also I would recomend keeping the traces for the power and ground returns close together rather tha running them round the the oposite sides of IC2. This will reduce any crosstalk from the power rails into IC2.

Regadrs,
Andrew

Yeah I realized a couple things, so the design is changing. First off, it won't be easy to source/align right angle pins of different lengths to use this vertically. Second, the only easy to find capacitors that are 0603 SMD 0.1uF are ceramic. So the design has been changed to have the DIP-8 in the middle, and the TO-99s on either side with the capacitors between the op-amps and the socket, and mounting will be flat.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 498
Hi Guys,

Can someone please check for me if I have inserted the mono LME49710HA Op-Amp correctly as I have lower volume output than in my Sabre DAC.

According to the LME49710HA manufacture PDF. The leg 8 goes to > pin 8 on the socket - but in my case if I do it there is no sound. If I insert the leg 8 to the pin 1 I get the sound. Something is just not right.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks
Mykhailo

Last edited:
I'd love to check, but your images don't load.

Note that the LME49710HA is a single opamp. If you're placing a dual opamp with a single, you're not going to have much fun. That said, the pinout of the TO-99 can is exactly the same as for the DIP-08. Pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2, etc. The only snag is that the TO-99 can marks Pin 8 with a metal tab on the can, whereas all other IC packages have Pin 1 marked.

Tom

Hi,

I have tried to ping the Op-Amp ( Mono) leg 8 into pin8 - no sound. Interesting is, when I place mono Op-Amps that cam with the DAC board and have them both inserted - no sound. If I was to remove one ( either left or right) I get sound on one channel, so if I remove one mono OpAmp and leave one in, I get sound on that channel if I have two of them inserted no sound on both channels. Something on the DAC board is definitely causes it. I have got another pare of discrete mono Op-Amps and the same situation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.