Two LM 3886s on each side ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2010, 05:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Two LM 3886s on each side ?

I am using the case of a HAFLER SE120 Amplifier for my project . Today
I took the " guts " out . The heat - sinks on each side are large , and the
SE120 had two chips on each heat - sink . I wonder how much power each channel would have if I used two of the LM3886 units together for each channel . The two 300 VA units mentioned earlier would probably
still be enough power for two boards . And a bridge for each pair . ( Would the bridges have to be able to handle more power ? ) The threaded holes on the HAFLER heat - sinks are probably too close together for two boards side - by - side . I'd have to drill and tap a hole
in a location further away from the other one . I'm sure folks here know how to wire two together properly !

DAVID V. WEBBER
Old 28th July 2010, 11:15 AM   #2
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I have reached a conclusion by reading between the lines. I may be wrong.

I think you should assemble a 3886 based amplifier in mono and work out why it works and what it needs to work well, including Grounding. Then move on to the complications of two channel, parallel operation, bridged, packaging, etc.
Old 28th July 2010, 04:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Two 3886s Per Channel :

Is this caution due to the fact that two boards are not just twice the work . Rather , the complexity goes up exponentially . More chances for
errors , and the results of those errors might be more serious . Then , the testing might be difficult and complex as well . ??

Still , I'm mostly just curious . What sort of power would each channel have , at a " normal " level ?

David V. Webber
Old 28th July 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

He is trying to dissuade you from failing at a complex project (search parallel chipamp) when you could succeed at a simple one.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:09 PM   #5
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a thread on a commercial product with THREE such amps in parallel. Some posters in the thread are complaining these things keep blowing out. Not sure if there's a relation there, but for what it's worth there's a schematic in post #29, and some possibly very important hints in post #30:
Event Studio Precision Repair
The thread's most recent post is yet another person asking for help with this product...

Hide this!Advertise here!