Bi-amping with Chipamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I think I got that right.
I read it three times before I posted and re-read after posting.

Take a wideband amp with F-1dB range of 4Hz to 90kHz.
The high Pass Filter is ~2Hz. Raise this to F-3dB=250Hz.
Use this adjusted amplifier with an F-1dB range of 500Hz to 90kHz to drive the treble of the passive crossover speaker.

At the end , if you replicate the same X-over center point , you just won't need the passive ones
it's not nearly as simple as that.
Any one can replicate the crossover point with a pair of filters. One can choose single pole or two pole or three pole. You will rarely find a four pole passive filter to replicate.

Now listen to the passive version and the two filtered active version. They will be quite different.

Yesssorry ! I forgot to say : putting into the equation also the natural 2nd order filter given by speaker + enclosure . Moreover ,that can't be done with a commercial cabinet .Speaker type ,box size and geometry , extra filters (such a protection cap for HP),amplifiers ,passive or active line crossovers ...we're lucky ! The "source" is independent :gasp:

Andrew

Thanks for the specific help there. What frequency limits would you suggest for the bass/mid amp? The Diamond 9.1 has a bass/mid to treble xover frequency of ~2kHz and is flat'ish (if you ignore the engineered bass hump) to ~100Hz before it starts falling off. I plan on using them with an optional Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.