some help please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2010, 10:41 PM   #1
mubz is offline mubz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default some help please

hello everyone ive been lookin at t amps for a very long time now but havent had the balls to go buy 1 lol im not rich so wasting money aint my thing now im a total beginner and i want a hifi set up and want to spend max 150 for amp and speakers ive been lookin at these items

Lepai Class T Amp TA2020 Amplifier 20WX2 12V4A Adapter on eBay (end time 24-Jun-10 18:30:58 BST)

New Lepai LP-838 3 Channel Mini Amplifier Stereo on eBay (end time 19-Jul-10 13:39:46 BST)

TOPPING TP30 CLASS T AMP@Tripath TA2024C@USB DAC on eBay (end time 24-Jun-10 03:12:56 BST)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TK2050-TP2050-...item1e5c50a7fc

i like the one with the usb but im not sure about the qaulity and also this new chip tk2050 seems good how hard would it be to get hold of a box for this and also speakers ive been looking at diy speakers but im not very good with diy as i dont have alot of tools so could you guys recommend me amp and speakers within a 150 budget please i would be very gratefull look foward to hearing from you
Old 24th June 2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Banned

I like the one with the USB too. It looks really well constructed in the pictures. This doesn't reveal much about how it will perform, but the advert is saying the right kind of things. I've got a TA2024 amp and PSU and a USB dac sitting here unused, or I'd be very tempted to have one of those. The TA2024 is the chip in the amps that first excited all the interest in Tripath. That's not to say the others aren't good, but the evidence for that isn't as strong.

The difference in power output between the 2024s and the 20W amps is not sufficient to make much difference.

I wouldn't describe myself as 'rich', but I've had a long time to accumulate these things, and electronics is my profession.

As it is, in the room next door I've got another TA2024 coupled up to a pair of FR speakers in BIG boxes and a DVD/DTV receiver via the TV line out that my wife is listening to. It'll play CDs, mp3s from a USB stick, it's loud enough for everything except maybe a party, I don't really know though, I never turn it up past a third, which is loud by the standards of the wife, kids and neighbours. My wife NEVER turns it up that loud and it's not a small room.

If you go with the USB one, that only leaves ~100 for the speakers. That's cutting it a bit tight. You could build Morgan Jones' Arpeggio speakers, which are shown in the Articles section on the righthand side of the Diyaudio index page. The drivers for these will cost ~140 for the pair, but you will get a reasonable loud sound. You can get most of the cutting done at the shop where you buy the wood, so this cuts down on the DIY effort.

You can get reasonable drivers for a 2-way system cheaper than that, but you'll need a crossover, the construction will be more complicated, there'll be a lot of design decisions, and the speakers will not be nearly so loud.

The 2050 amp is another matter. I looked at the thread about it, plenty of people seem to like it, but this is not the same as reliable reviews. It probably gets good reactions because @ 100WPC it is much more capable of driving the less efficient speakers many people will have. Remember that it needs a PSU.

I am sure that if you want to go this route, someone will recommend speakers that you can build, or off-the-shelf ones that are within your budget, I am not really up-to-date with the current (or even not-so-current) market in speakers. You could also go for secondhand off ebay.

You have shown ebay auctions with prices in more than one currency. Where are you? This makes a difference when making recommendations.

w
Old 24th June 2010, 05:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default topping tp30 or topping tp20 mk2

i am a total beginner so here goes which one shall i buy the topping tp30 2024 or the topping tp20 2020 mk2 i will be using either kef uni q speakers sensititvity 91 db or tannoys dual concentrics

ive seen the tk2050 but im useless at electronics would there be someone who could build it for me and i would pay them

so which 1 shall i go for and if possible which speakers i will be buying of ebay second hand floorstanders and i live in london btw thank you

kef q35
Old 26th June 2010, 12:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default please some advice please some1

topping tp30 or topping tp20 mk2 i am a total beginner so here goes which one shall i buy the topping tp30 2024 or the topping tp20 2020 mk2 i will be using either kef uni q speakers sensititvity 91 db or tannoys dual concentrics

ive seen the tk2050 but im useless at electronics would there be someone who could build it for me and i would pay them

so which 1 shall i go for and if possible which speakers i will be buying of ebay second hand floorstanders and i live in london btw thank you

ive already posted this question but i got no awnser would be better if i could maybe talk to some1 on msn i have many questions thanks!
Old 26th June 2010, 09:18 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

$150, let's split it $50 for two full range speakers.
$5 for all the interconnects.
$95 for the amplifier.
30% goes on the case
30% goes on the PSU
30% goes on the amplifier
10% goes on all the hardware.

That leaves you with just $28.50 to buy and assemble the amplifier.

You will need to source a lot of second owner parts to keep within that very tight budget:- transformer, heatsink, chassis, capacitors, rectifier, hardware, cables?

What budget covers tools and consumables?

DIY is not cheaper than buy it ready made, if you start with an even keel (eg all new).

Ahh!
London, convert all your dollars to pounds.
Go and fill in some of the non personal data in your profile.

Last edited by AndrewT; 26th June 2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: no profile location

Hide this!Advertise here!