How to connect a potentiometer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm building a mono chip amp based on TDA7240A and want to add a potentiometer as a volume control. I have in house a 20K stereo log pot that I could use since it is of good quality. My problem is how to identify the three contact I should use (in from source, out to amp, ground), from the six that there are on the pot.
Thanks,
Ralf

Unfortunately the article doesn't solve my problem.
I should explain better the situation: I have a pot with 6 terminals in a row, they are not marked in any way, so I can't figure what are the three terminals I have to connect (in , out, ground).
Is there a way with a simple ohm meter to find the correct ones?
Thanks,
Ralf

Shouldn't be that hard. Turn the pot counter clockwise - volume all the way down. 2 pairs of contacts should read zero ohms to each other. The other two contacts should read 20k ohms to one of the first set of contacts. These two would be the high side. Then turn the volume all the way up - clockwise. The 20k ohms taps previously determined will read zero ohms to one of the other taps. This tap will be your wiper. The last tap would be the low side. High side = in Lowside = ground Wiper = out. Good luck with it.

For your curiosity I attach a photo of the pot, it was used as a volume control in a Philips mini system.
I think I have found the right contacts: pins 2,3,5 from the right.
At zero volume, pins 3-5 is 0 Ohm, 2-3 and 2-5 is 20K Ohm, while at maximum volume pins 2-3 is 0 Ohm, and 2-5 and 3-5 is 20K Ohm.
Thank you all
Ralf

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 351
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.