Questions on First Chipamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a 20+ year hiatus as an electronic tech I've pulled out my old scope, variac and DMMs. They all still work, but I'm pretty rusty myself. and most of my books are gone.

I decided to build a chipamp and may have rushed things a bit in my parts selection. I picked up two transformers and four boards on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=170437050006&view=all&tid=482789703007

28Vx2 200VA Toroid Transformer DIY HiFi Power Amp Kit - eBay (item 250649543698 end time Jun-18-10 12:38:43 PDT)

After reading through the diy forums I'm starting to think the LM3875 isn't that great a chip anymore and the supply voltage will be too high for reliable operation. I plan to drive 2 different pairs of 8 ohm speakers as surround sound on my patio. I also was thinking of finally finishing that Phoenix Systems Parametric Equalizer project from Popular Electronics that I bought pcbs for long ago, and try to use it as some sort of preamp. It's supposed to go in the tape loop. Can I just feed it the headphone out from an mp3 player or Squeezebox Radio? Where's the best place for a volume control?

Hi,
that is a 115/230:28+28Vac transformer.
It will give too high a voltage for a 3886 from 240Vac.
It will probably run the 3886 at just outside it's specification maximum rating when mains voltage is high.

It should just about be OK when run from 220Vac mains supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.