tabs touching, no output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
moamps said:

Hi,

tab (heatsink) voltage on plastic package must be -Ve, metal TO3 is isolated; N.C. What voltage is between two noelectrically connected heatsinks?

Regards

both tabs (heatsink) (plastic package) are at 0.3v with the common lead of my multimeter connected to star ground. i do not understand your question. they are both at approx. 0.3v so, no more than 0.1v difference between the heatsinks. have i understood your question correctly?

Matttcattt said:
both tabs (heatsink) (plastic package) are at 0.3v with the common lead of my multimeter connected to star ground

:scratch:

What voltage is between pins 3,4 and tab?
What voltage is between 3,4 and stargnd?

Attachments

• opa541.jpg
    opa541.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 135
millwood said:
that is because both are at -Vdc?

Yes,
good readings between some points for PS+/-15V are:

"3,4" - gnd ......-15V
"10,11" - gnd ......+15V
"3,4" - tab ......0V
tab - gnd ......-15V
"10,11" - "3,4" ..... 30V

If IC is directly mounted to the heatsink, then the heatsink must be electrically isolated from all parts inside the chassis and from the chassis itself (if the chassis is metal).

Regards

moamps said:

Yes,
good readings between some points for PS+/-15V are:

"3,4" - gnd ......-15V
"10,11" - gnd ......+15V
"3,4" - tab ......0V
tab - gnd ......-15V
"10,11" - "3,4" ..... 30V

If IC is directly mounted to the heatsink, then the heatsink must be electrically isolated from all parts inside the chassis and from the chassis itself (if the chassis is metal).

Regards

i know this should be true, but both chips tabs are at 0.3v from ground. also, i know that the chips and heatsink should be insulated, and it will be, but i wish to know why the tabs are at 0.3v, and why the two chips will not work when the tabs are electronoically connected.

i was trying to measure some resistors with my multimeter and was getting no reading, i found that one of my test leads was broken. i have re-tested the tabs with a new set of (working) test probes, and they are both at -15v as they should be. strangly, both amps still work when the tabs are connected. :scratch: maybe when i noticed that they didnt work when the tabs were connected was a freak incedent. :bawling:

sorry to waste your time.:goodbad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.