Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2010, 01:31 PM   #241
diyAudio Member

So maybe worth it to double or even triple rectify?
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:51 PM   #242
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, thinking about it I will make "statements" from past reading.

I have read that some people can tell a difference if the secondaries are reversed phase. I can't, but I never claimed to have golden ears.

But if the secondaries were wired in opposite phase and put on a single umbilical and run as AC then it would in effect be a balanced power cable and any induced noise would theoretically be cancelled.

Same concept as single ended and balanced signal cables only this would be a constant 50-60Hz wave form.

All this is relevant to THIS thread in the fact that the rectifiers are on the main PCB and if the transformer is housed in a separate enclosure you can experiment with the phase of the secondaries to see which way sounds better to compliment the esoteric components.
Old 23rd June 2010, 04:05 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

Guys, for heatsinking to be considered OK, how can I judge? Able to touch heatsink for 5 secs ok?
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:43 PM   #244
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengboon View Post
Guys, for heatsinking to be considered OK, how can I judge? Able to touch heatsink for 5 secs ok?
All depends on the longevity you are expecting from your amp.

I have never run any amplifier past warm.

But then I never finished my Pass Mini-A / A30.... Mr. Pass likes to run 'em hot...

This ran 2 channels at half volume all day long and was "just" warm...

http://picasaweb.google.com/troystg/...25506012756242

Last edited by troystg; 23rd June 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 23rd June 2010, 06:58 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
Actually, thinking about it I will make "statements" from past reading.

I have read that some people can tell a difference if the secondaries are reversed phase. I can't, but I never claimed to have golden ears.

But if the secondaries were wired in opposite phase and put on a single umbilical and run as AC then it would in effect be a balanced power cable and any induced noise would theoretically be cancelled.

Same concept as single ended and balanced signal cables only this would be a constant 50-60Hz wave form.

All this is relevant to THIS thread in the fact that the rectifiers are on the main PCB and if the transformer is housed in a separate enclosure you can experiment with the phase of the secondaries to see which way sounds better to compliment the esoteric components.
Do you think that it could benefit something if the transformer is placed in the same enclosure than the amp
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:44 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
Do you think that it could benefit something if the transformer is placed in the same enclosure than the amp
I think if the transformer is IN the same chassis it is a VERY simple experiment.

I have tried it before and I could not detect a difference, which means absolutely nothing. I encourage others to try simple things like that and learn through their own experiences. Then share those experiences to see if others have had similar results.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:07 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Default Problems

I inserted some of the little Wima caps into the wrong places. Two of them are on the underside of one of the boards. On the other board I soldered one of them on the underside and when I realized my mistake I tried to get it out. I ended up twisting the cap off the leads because the solder was down in the via and I couldn't get it out.

What do I do now? Are there any unclaimed boards I can purchase and try over again?
Old 24th June 2010, 10:10 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

If you can't clean out the holes you are welcome to send me the PCB's and I will.

BUT... A solder sucker or solder wick and flux should be able to clean out the holes for you.

That is providing you didn't lift any traces while trying to clean the accident.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:45 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
If you can't clean out the holes you are welcome to send me the PCB's and I will.

BUT... A solder sucker or solder wick and flux should be able to clean out the holes for you.

That is providing you didn't lift any traces while trying to clean the accident.
My bet goes to solder sucker. One of the most useful tools I have. Since I discovered it, I have never used desoldering braid again. Little risk of lifting a pad if properly used.

Regards,
Regi
Old 25th June 2010, 10:05 AM   #250
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
My bet goes to solder sucker. One of the most useful tools I have. Since I discovered it, I have never used desoldering braid again. Little risk of lifting a pad if properly used.
I don't have de-soldering braid.
I use the solder sucker almost exclusively.
There is a situation where I find that struggling.
Very thick double sided PCB with plated through holes using copper thicker than normal.
It is very difficult to get both sides of the PTH to heat up to and beyond solder melting point and I have had to resort to drilling out the solder (carefully).

Hide this!Advertise here!