MyRefC build guide - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2010, 03:14 PM   #101
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
It has been established that having the LM318 nested in the feedback loop causes the LM3886 to run warmer.
I don't recall that. Would it be easy to find the discussion?
Old 9th June 2010, 03:29 PM   #102
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Easy? Most likely not.
Possible? Certainly.
Will I try to reinvent the wheel? No.

You are welcome to read every post in the multiple threads. I have read somewhere about the 95 percentile of them over several years time.

Has heatsinking and larger than normal heat sinks been brought up in those past posts? Yes.
Where? Good luck finding. This is an OLD subject / topic with LOTS of information to sort through.
Old 9th June 2010, 03:30 PM   #103
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

First let me say thanks to Uriah for taking the time to make this group buy a reality.

I've begun stuffing my boards and have a few questions.

- Are the 1K Dale resistors supplied for R1 and R4 really rated for 1W, they seem small ?

- The BOM call out for Q2/Q3 to be BC546A, but BC546B supplied. Probabily ok but wanted to make sure.

- R11 spec'd as 1R, reading ~ 1.3 - 1.4 R with my meter. I'm assuming it is simply meter error with my cheapy meter.

- The BOM calls for two 75 K resistors For R15 & R16, but I got three in my kit. Is the third 75K just a unintended bonus part ?

Thanks,

PJN
Old 9th June 2010, 03:31 PM   #104
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

A sink that size is pretty small. It also depends on what you mean by 'pretty hot'. If you put it in a closed box with no way to vent I wouldnt expect it to last long. I usually use a P4 sink around 3x3x2. About double what you are using. More than enough for the load they have to drive in my house. 96db speakers make it easy on any amp. If you are running 87db and play it loud you will need larger and larger sinks. With my speakers the P4 sinks rarely got warm. I mean you could hardly tell the difference between them and air temperature.
URiah
Old 9th June 2010, 03:41 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
Hi Guys,

First let me say thanks to Uriah for taking the time to make this group buy a reality.

I've begun stuffing my boards and have a few questions.

- Are the 1K Dale resistors supplied for R1 and R4 really rated for 1W, they seem small ?

- The BOM call out for Q2/Q3 to be BC546A, but BC546B supplied. Probabily ok but wanted to make sure.

- R11 spec'd as 1R, reading ~ 1.3 - 1.4 R with my meter. I'm assuming it is simply meter error with my cheapy meter.

- The BOM calls for two 75 K resistors For R15 & R16, but I got three in my kit. Is the third 75K just a unintended bonus part ?

Thanks,

PJN
I think those 1k's were actually 2W so you are safe. They LOOOK small but have you seen Panasonic 1/4W
Yep, BC546B is fine.
Its your meter.
Its a bonus part.
Let us know how it sounds Cant wait to start hearing some impressions.
Uriah
Old 9th June 2010, 04:26 PM   #106
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

I have an original RevC from Twisted Pear that I built several years ago to compare it to, so it should be interesting.
Old 9th June 2010, 06:41 PM   #107
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
I have an original RevC from Twisted Pear that I built several years ago to compare it to, so it should be interesting.
I would definitely like to hear (pun intended) your opinions.

I think this circuit is fully capable of resolving the differences in components.

I have purchased six channels (2 from twisted pair, 4 from Uriah's 1st GB), built four, , so I couldn't justify another two....

Last edited by troystg; 9th June 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 9th June 2010, 08:19 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Got my package! Thank you one more time, Uriah. Having a fast look at the contents arise me some questions, which I will ask later, when I get time to look at it closely.
BTW, you made a great effort in packaging it, tons of nearly individual bags and very compact all of it. Pictures promised.

Regards,
Regi
Old 9th June 2010, 08:38 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Youre welcome Regi. Note that you have the tantalum and metal hat in there for experimenting.
Uriah
Old 9th June 2010, 09:11 PM   #110
Bill_P is offline Bill_P  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
I think those 1k's were actually 2W so you are safe. They LOOOK small but have you seen Panasonic 1/4W
Just a few words about the power ratings resistor manufacturers publish:

There is no free lunch - the temperature rise at a given power will be greater the smaller the resistor. The small resistors are constructed of materials that can withstand very high temperatures, up to 230C in the case of the CPF2 resistor. For printed circuit board mounting you can't run anywhere near the rated power and maintain sane temperatures.

The highest DC voltage for the amplifier should be under +/-35 volts so the resistor will dissipate at most 1/2 Watt. That should produce a temperature rise of 40C according to the datasheet. At a normal room temperature and with allowance for a slightly higher internal enclosure ambient temperature, this produces a reasonable operating temperature. But there is no way you could realistically run 2 Watts dissipation with these resistors. In fact they aren't good for much more than 1/2 Watt the way we are using them.

Hide this!Advertise here!