Who has ever heard of RCA's HC1000 100W amp Hybrid Chip? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2010, 02:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to smartx21 Send a message via Skype™ to smartx21
Default Who has ever heard of RCA's HC1000 100W amp Hybrid Chip?

If anyone has ever saw this chip at work, I would be very grateful to know something more about. I think history helps us understand present and future!
Thanks.
Best regards,
Max.
Old 7th May 2010, 03:52 PM   #2
rcbuck is offline rcbuck  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, the HC1000 was the early prototype version. It was replaced by the updated HC2500. I don't think many of the HC1000s were produced.

Back in the 80s I worked for a company that used the HC2500 as the output stage of their PA amplifier. They made 3 different versions of the amp (35W, 75W, and 100W) with the only difference being the +/- supply voltage. The 100W unit had a +/- 35V at 5 amps power supply.

I still have a couple of the 100W amplifiers laying around with bad HC2500s in them. The hybrid parts were discontinued years ago. The 100 watt amplifier weighs about 50 lbs. The power transformer is a massive 4x4x3 inch part.

The company produced thousands of the units over a period of about 5 years until the HC2500 was discontinued by RCA. The amplifiers were fairly reliable although they would occasionally fail with power surges or nearby lightning strikes. I would say we saw about a 5% failure rate in the field which wasn't too bad.

I have the original RCA HC1000 (dated 3/72) and HC2500 (dated 9/73) data sheets in my data sheet file folder. Guess I need to get rid of all that stuff from back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
Old 7th May 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to smartx21 Send a message via Skype™ to smartx21
Sorry for the bad phrase construction... "has ever saw"!!!
Thanks for commenting!
Best regards,
Max.
Old 10th May 2010, 07:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Hc1000

Yes I remember the HC1000.

I did have two or three lying around somewhere.

sam
Old 19th May 2010, 08:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default HC2500 - down memory lane

When I worked in Buffalo NY, I remember repairing amps that used these. There were 4 channels in 19" chassis, 2 big E-I transformers. No idea who built them, they were in clubs I serviced in the late 80's. When I could not get more HC2500's, I just used Sanyo hybrids with a few additional parts. I opened up a dead HC2500 once, and it was just an ordinary amp circuit using surface mount parts on a ceramic board. A dead one could be repaired.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

yes,I remember that chip (of the day),I saw one once in some amp that all I had to do is just replace the fuse for (repair job) and never saw it again down in naples fl.
I met the guy again a few years later and he said "I'm sorry to say but it bit the big one" I asked, what did you do with it ",he said " I tried ,but I could not find a replacement part for it." I said "ahh man you should have givin it to me because it had such a huge transformer in it" he said "I'm sorry but I wasn't in this area at the time when it blew out and I remembered you ,but I wasn't in the area at the time ,so I ended up thorwing it out"
(bunch of rich people that I had to deal with)
But I remember that that was the awesome chip of the day ,that I so wanted and had all of the specs memorized.
Until the advent of the LM18XX and LM38XX series of chips.
And then SANKEN came along( mid 80's )
p.s. oh yea, he said it blew fuses all of the time ,It really was the only heavy duty chip that was ever produced at that time .jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 19th May 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 1st November 2010, 06:24 AM   #7
zargon1 is offline zargon1  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of NOS RCA HC2500 modules if anyone is interested. They are pretty much fool proof and reliable if done properly.

Last edited by zargon1; 1st November 2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 1st November 2010, 06:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have about 150 pieces of NOS Signetics NE540H audio power IC's I'd like to sell. These are commonly used in applications for audio driver stages, headphone amps (Boak high quality headphone amp in The Audio Amateur a few years back) and as reverb drivers for instrument amps. They are in a TO-5 package, and offer high quality audio with minimal external parts.
Old 1st November 2010, 06:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I also have about 60 pieces of the Sanken SI-1025 hybrid power modules. They use good quality internal parts, such as Sony transistors etc., hermetically sealed onto a heat sink base. With just a few external parts, these modules provide surprisingly good sounding audio power amps at an honest 25 watts RMS; far better than than the sound of the inexpensive mass produced power chips you find in most current consumer audio gear. I have about 6 pieces of the SI-1050 50 watt version as well.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default How about the price per each?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zargon1 View Post
I have about 150 pieces of NOS Signetics NE540H audio power IC's I'd like to sell. These are commonly used in applications for audio driver stages, headphone amps (Boak high quality headphone amp in The Audio Amateur a few years back) and as reverb drivers for instrument amps. They are in a TO-5 package, and offer high quality audio with minimal external parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!