The Fuses Just Keep Blowing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been trying to construct a power supply for my Gainclone. Every time I plug it in, it blows a fuse. Right now, the schematic is as follows.
T1 is a Plitron 225 VA transformer with 15v secondaries.
F1 and F2 are slow-blow 4A fuses.
BR1 and BR2 are 50V fast rectifiers, I think.
How must I hook them all up to have the power supply work and be Gainclone-worthy?

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 459
raffir,
You just need one fuse one one of the wires of the transformer's primary.
On the other wire you can put a 10ohm/7w resistor, because toroids have a big in-rush current at turn on, and that's what may be blowing your fuses.
Then you can use a 2A fuse, because 4A is too much.

JOE DIRT® said:
your rectifiers are not wired properly...you have a dead short right now on the secondaries
It is correct! But I would suggest that you only connect ONE primary winding (is it 120 V?) and test. And do the same thing with other one. If you get correct voltage bot times, you have for sure connected the primary windings wrong. In that case, just flip one winding. It's safe to connect only one winding as long as you have less than half the rated load but I suppose you have only smoothing caps as load?

What I'm going to do

I'm going to try testing it with only one bridge rectifier and pair of secondaries hooked up (I'll use the other two as 0v) as suggested on the Decibel Dungeon. I've had success before, the only problem was that the music would play for a moment only to be replaced by a buzzing sound, or sometimes nothing at all. Incidentally, the "Gainclone" I've been using is K50 as shown at http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k50.pdf

Ground

Hooking up 115-0 to make a centre tap as shown on Decibel Dungeon, I was assaulted by a flash and crack. The fuses look alright, which worries me. Anyway, can I avoid making a fake centre tap by simply connected ground on the amp to the green plug/3d pin on the AC cord?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.