2*100 watt @ 4ohm TK2050 or LM3886 Gain Clone?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 04:00 AM   #1
fr1s is offline fr1s  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Van City
Send a message via Skype™ to fr1s
Question 2*100 watt @ 4ohm TK2050 or LM3886 Gain Clone??

Hi!
I'm looking to build an amp for my self, something That I can listen to my Trance/House and the rest of the music without any problem.

So I'm here stuck with two choices:


2*100 watt @ 4ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier from Sure..
Click the image to open in full size.
2*100w 4? TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board-improved - eBay (item 350344146851 end time Apr-28-10 12:27:28 PDT)

and

LM3886 High End Power

Click the image to open in full size.
LM3886 High End Power Amp Refer Gaincard New - eBay (item 120479781649 end time May-10-10 01:00:56 PDT)

and I'm not really Sure which one to go for!
which one of them sounds better? and is better over all,
Money wise I know it's cheaper for me to build amp with TK2050 Board but I dont wanna go cheap on my sound so I wanna know which one I should get!

thx
fr1s
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
tangmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cape Town
what speakers are you going to use?

4ohm or 8 ohm?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:28 AM   #3
fr1s is offline fr1s  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Van City
Send a message via Skype™ to fr1s
I got pair of Polk Audio Monitor Series 2 8ohm 100w Speakers


Click the image to open in full size.

would TK2050 Class-D amp be able to handle them??
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
tangmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cape Town
What i have read from this thread:

Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

I would prefer to use lm3886's.

Wit that one option you have there basically the ONLY things you need to buy is a 160 - 220VA 25 0 25V toroidal transformer and a heatsink for the lm3886's.

The TK2050 is suited better when using a 24V regulated powersupply ,something decent with low noise. Not sure how their cost compares to toroidal.
Personally a constantly running Fan on that tk2050 would irritate me a LOT.

So my personal input is to use the lm3886 kit. They should do GREAT with those speakers. It will be VERY easy to do modifications toe the lm3886 kit also.
If you have assembled everything and give a circuit diagram and we can see if further improvements can be done to design.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 02:59 PM   #5
fr1s is offline fr1s  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Van City
Send a message via Skype™ to fr1s
I live in Canada so What Transformer do i need? voltage is 110 - 120v

110 - 120VA 25 0 25V ????
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 05:42 PM   #6
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default 2050 amp sounds better

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1s View Post
Hi!
I'm looking to build an amp for my self, something That I can listen to my Trance/House and the rest of the music without any problem.

So I'm here stuck with two choices:


2*100 watt @ 4ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier from Sure..
Click the image to open in full size.
2*100w 4? TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board-improved - eBay (item 350344146851 end time Apr-28-10 12:27:28 PDT)

and

LM3886 High End Power

Click the image to open in full size.
LM3886 High End Power Amp Refer Gaincard New - eBay (item 120479781649 end time May-10-10 01:00:56 PDT)

and I'm not really Sure which one to go for!
which one of them sounds better? and is better over all,
Money wise I know it's cheaper for me to build amp with TK2050 Board but I dont wanna go cheap on my sound so I wanna know which one I should get!

thx
fr1s
I have 2050 amps and 3886 amps. And 3875 amps. And 7250 (previous champ) and Hypex amps. The 2050 with a 36v MeanWell at 32v sounds much better than any other amp I have ever tried, total cost is $100 and you can have it playing within 5 minutes of opening the boxes. A single 3886 is not that great in my comparisons. Running two 3875 bridged from a true balanced source is much better and almost gets you into the same league as a good 2050 amp. The Sure is the cheapest and the quickest with all of the connectors on the board. The stock parts of a 41Hz kit will be better but you have to build it. The Truepath 3020 modules from Connexelectronic could be even better if you wanted to spend a little more than the Sure 2X100. Class D isn't just for efficiency. It sounds better. Ultra transparent, explosive dynamics, and sounds much more powerful than it's specs.
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:13 PM   #7
fr1s is offline fr1s  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Van City
Send a message via Skype™ to fr1s
I got a question tho
can i run 2050 off my HP Printer ( HP Photosmart 2610) Power supply? 31v @ 2.4A
and with that Hp power supply would it sound as good as with MeanWell ps?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:50 PM   #8
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1s View Post
I got a question tho
can i run 2050 off my HP Printer ( HP Photosmart 2610) Power supply? 31v @ 2.4A
and with that Hp power supply would it sound as good as with MeanWell ps?
Some guys get good results with printer SMPS and some didn't. I would order the Meanwell at the same time as the amp and be done with it.
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:00 PM   #9
fr1s is offline fr1s  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Van City
Send a message via Skype™ to fr1s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Some guys get good results with printer SMPS and some didn't. I would order the Meanwell at the same time as the amp and be done with it.
I went to Mean Well site but I got confused with which PS to order lol is there a particular one u can recommend me? (link plz)
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:56 PM   #10
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default S-350-36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1s View Post
I went to Mean Well site but I got confused with which PS to order lol is there a particular one u can recommend me? (link plz)
MeanWell S-350-36 turned down to 32v.
.
36V DC 9.7A 349.2W Regulated Switching Power Supply - eBay (item 110424217467 end time May-11-10 00:13:20 PDT)
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2*100 watt @ 4ohm TK2050 or LM3886 Gain Clone?? fr1s Class D 3 19th April 2012 11:01 PM
Minimum gain for Tripath TK2050? sendler Class D 4 22nd December 2011 03:14 PM
Sure electronics 4*100 watt @ 4ohm, TK2050 D-class Audio Amplifier Board aquapiranha Class D 3 30th May 2011 11:06 PM
FS: LM3886 Gain Clone Chips (19) bolserst Swap Meet 5 26th October 2008 06:35 PM
LM3886 gain clone vs STK4048XI for 4 ohm load filgor Chip Amps 0 25th September 2004 12:05 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:53 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2