2*100 watt @ 4ohm TK2050 or LM3886 Gain Clone?? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2010, 05:15 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I'm certainly not knocking the abilities of the amp as I have read many good reviews on the tri-path system and have yet to hear one.
I was merely trying to point the pros and cons of the two technologies and was not impressed by the specs per cost and/or ease of use and expandability when it comes to modifications.
But then again you can't hear by spec's either.
Being well experienced in recording and recording technology I have never really liked the sound of the digital realm compared to analog.
Even with the advent of 24 bit resolution it is closer but not the same as analog, IMO the sample rate is not high enough the same goes for class d amps.
Thats just my opinion about digital.
I'm not saying that is bad.
It's hard to beat an good'ol linear amp if designed properly.
What goes in will come out unmodified,this is something that class d designers have been struggling with for years.
I,myself included.
As I also have been woking on designs of my own.
I feel it is a very promising format.
But IMO one could have a much much more capable and versatile amp using a pair of lm3886's for the same amount of money or less. jer
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:00 PM   #32
fr1s is offline fr1s  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to fr1s
another thing, waht kind of Potentiometers should I use for lm3886 or tk2050? 10k 20k or maybe 100k?
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:16 PM   #33
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 10k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1s View Post
another thing, waht kind of Potentiometers should I use for lm3886 or tk2050? 10k 20k or maybe 100k?
The lower the better for passive volume controls down to the point where your source starts to have trouble driving it. I use 4k switched shunt stepped attenuators which are a similar impedance to 10k pots. Keep the wires following the pot short for the best sound.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:56 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The Sure is the cheapest and the quickest with all of the connectors on the board. The stock parts of a 41Hz kit will be better but you have to build it. The Truepath 3020 modules from Connexelectronic could be even better if you wanted to spend a little more than the Sure 2X100. Class D isn't just for efficiency. It sounds better. Ultra transparent, explosive dynamics, and sounds much more powerful than it's specs.
Hi Sendler,
I agree full with you regarding the sound quality. But this sure board failed after 4 days continious playing. I really loved the sound though itīs a little bit toxic comparing to an Trends TA-10.

The blue HMute LED shines after 5 seconds running and then the amp shuts down with a loud bumb/noise out of the speakers. Cooling Fan also stops running. I have contacted yet sure-electronics but still not received an reply. Itīs weekend I know.

Any suggestions or thoughts from you ...? It would be fine

Thanks much
Old 24th April 2010, 12:55 AM   #35
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2x100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
Hi Sendler,
I agree full with you regarding the sound quality. But this sure board failed after 4 days continious playing. I really loved the sound though itīs a little bit toxic comparing to an Trends TA-10.

The blue HMute LED shines after 5 seconds running and then the amp shuts down with a loud bumb/noise out of the speakers. Cooling Fan also stops running. I have contacted yet sure-electronics but still not received an reply. Itīs weekend I know.

Any suggestions or thoughts from you ...? It would be fine

Thanks much
I haven't heard of any failures of the two channel boards with fans on the other thread. You can ask over there
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050
but I'm certain that Sure will send you another board.
Old 24th April 2010, 03:19 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmonster View Post
I would suggest 160 VA 25V 0 25V toroidal as a minimum.

But even better will be a 220VA 25 0 25 V toroidal.

Don't confuse your socket AC voltage(110V to 120V) with the power capability(VA) of the transformer.

You need a 110 - 120V 220VA 25V 0 25V toroidal transformer for that circuit.

I also have question about toroids.

I looked for 35v 0 35v toroid on internet and i couldn't finds one, I've seen bunch of 25's and 36's with different VA ratings mostly 250 and 160, so if you know where i could get proper toroid can u guys post a link?
thx :P
really appreciate it
Old 24th April 2010, 03:50 AM   #37
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

For 2 X 3886 like the one in your 1st post here? Then 35 is too high use 25-0-25

This what you want!
https://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=65

look here on how to build it Optimum Gainclone grounding arrangement
Old 24th April 2010, 03:59 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmonster View Post
Here is the standard use for lm3886 with low THD

single lm3886 standard use:

28 0 28V rails = 68W (4 ohm)
35 0 35V rails = 50W (8 ohm)

According to the datasheet THD+n using 4 ohm's at 60W is 0.03% using 28 0 28 rails
Obviously 100W into 4 ohms wil give a stupid thd of 10%.

fr1s has 8 ohm speakers so he should be more than happy when using 35 0 35 rails for his lm3886 amps.
yea but as u see I got 8ohm speakers and guys said that 35 would be better for it :P

btw thx of r the grounding topic

Last edited by fr1s; 24th April 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 24th April 2010, 04:12 AM   #39
ciagon is offline ciagon  United States
diyAudio Member

A transformer with 25V AC seconday outputs will give you 35V DC rails (25*1.41). It is an easy mistake to make.
Old 24th April 2010, 04:16 AM   #40
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Well he's talking DC voltage... not the same thing to use when shopping for transformers. LOL
Most 8 ohm speakers are closer to 6 ohms minimum. So the transformer I linked to IS what you want.

Hide this!Advertise here!