Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2010, 12:05 PM   #21
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Excuse me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Hi Sendler,
this is not a comparison. This is a deliberate misinterpretation of the specs to confuse the beginner and promote the digital type cause.
Tell the truth and learn to read the specifications, rather than spout your version of balderdash.
From the LM3886 data sheet. The LM3886 is hitting 10% distortion at 90 watts/4 ohms. 10% distortion at 75 watts/ 8 ohms
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3886.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LM3886 power comp.jpg (49.9 KB, 451 views)
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:14 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS fan never runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmonster View Post
So The cooling fan on the meanwell powersupply and a cooling fan on the tk2050 bothers NOONE?

I suppose the fan on the tk2050 can be replaced with bigger heatsink?
The fan on the Meanwell SMPS never runs. The case barely gets warm. The 12v fan on the amp is idling along at 5v so is nearly silent at 1 foot. I change the heatsink to a Zalman which runs 44C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZalmanZM-NB47Jcomp.jpg (152.0 KB, 467 views)
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:20 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Here is the standard use for lm3886 with low THD

single lm3886 standard use:

28 0 28V rails = 68W (4 ohm)
35 0 35V rails = 50W (8 ohm)

According to the datasheet THD+n using 4 ohm's at 60W is 0.03% using 28 0 28 rails
Obviously 100W into 4 ohms wil give a stupid thd of 10%.

fr1s has 8 ohm speakers so he should be more than happy when using 35 0 35 rails for his lm3886 amps.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:23 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

LM3886) +- 35V rails and 8 ohm 50W has MAXIMUM 0.1% THD+n

TK2050) <3% thd at 50W @ 8ohm

These specs are taken from datasheets.

Don't get me wrong. I am going to get one of the tk2050 modules and experiment myself. But on paper , to me , into 8 ohm loads. I will have to opt for lm3886

for 4ohms the TK2050 Datasheet shows 0.005% thd+N @ 70W which does sound better than lm3886 <0.1% at 68Wthough , but i doubt i'll hear the difference.

Last edited by tangmonster; 23rd April 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 23rd April 2010, 01:03 PM   #25
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmonster View Post
LM3886 +- 35V.......
well done Tang, you have demonstrated you can read a datasheet.
It can even go to +-42Vdc supply if you want lower distortion.
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:01 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I have read that thread,and the modifications are extensive and plauged with problems.
IMO if you have to make those many mod's in order to get it to sound good it is not a very good design.
Also I wouldn't want to risk my speakers with noises pops and clicks in the event some thing doesn't go right with the mod.
What happens when the chip blows out?
SMD is not easy to work on and you would be out a $40 board as opposed to replacing a $6 chip.
If you like to tinker then get the tri-path.
If you want great sound then the lm3886 is robust and durable amp that can be bridged or paralleled without issues,not as easliy so with class d amplifiers.
Don't get me wrong I like the class d design,but it is a compleatly different animal and requires a good scope and test equipment and such to get the best out the them.
Just remember that what somebody else perceives as good sounding might not be the same for you.
The type of material and how listen to it ,is a big factor also.do you eq or not eq?
For an example I personaly try not to use any eq at all.
But somtimes this is impossible because the material is just badly eq and mixed and I don't like alot of midrange anyhow.
So by pulling out a little bit of midrange and/or boosting the lows and raising the highs a tad,can give you the perception of a cleaner and more dynamic sound.
IMO all of those mods are probably changing the frequency response of the circuit that was already designed to have a flat response.
Thats just my opinion,good luck to you on your choice. jer
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:24 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
well done Tang, you have demonstrated you can read a datasheet.
I had to read that twice i though you where being sarcastic. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
If you want great sound then the lm3886 is robust and durable amp that can be bridged or paralleled without issues,not as easliy so with class d amplifiers.
That specific tk2050 board already uses two chips each chip paralleled for higher output in 4 ohms.

If you got a half the cost option using only one chip with 2 x 50W output into 8 ohm.
That should really make for a SUPER cheap 2 x 50W amplifier even though at a
thd+n <3% at 50W into 8ohm

But I am sure of all the other parts on that board the two tk2050 possibly makes up 20% of the total cost? So It's not worth the effort.

On the efficiency front the class D wins obviously....

But in the end , the difference between 35W and 50W is SO small in loudness perception to the ear...
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

The difference maybe nil in average loudness but the extra power comes in handy for the extra dynamic range when one bumps up the low end a bit.
I know we're not talking about a big amp (>100watts)here, but the difference is still greater than 40%.
About 1.5db or so or more.
IMO efficiency doesn't mean anything if the amp can't produce the power required.
Worring about efficiency is only good if you were runnig off of batteries.
And if that was the issue one would choose a speaker with a higher efficiancy rating so as not to require as much power for a given sound pressure level.
I believe that this is not the case here.
You can't hear efficiancy, but i do apreciate your point. jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 23rd April 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:11 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Sounds powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
The difference maybe nil in average loudness but the extra power comes in handy for the extra dynamic range when one bumps up the low end a bit.
I know we're not talking about a big amp (>100watts)here, but the difference is still greater than 40%.
About 1.5db or so or more.
IMO efficiency doesn't mean anything if the amp can't produce the power required.
Worring about efficiency is only good if you were runnig off of batteries.
And if that was the issue one would choose a speaker with a higher efficiancy rating so as not to require as much power for a given sound pressure level.
I believe that this is not the case here.
You can't hear efficiancy, but i do apreciate your point. jer
Based on listening, the TK2050 amps sound MUCH more powerful than the specs. Explosive dynamics like I have never heard from any of my AB amps.
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:48 PM   #30
fr1s is offline fr1s  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to fr1s
Like one of u mentioned it is easier to replace a burnt out lm3886 then 2050
So I'd want to get the one that wont destroy my speakers and that sounds good :P but so far from what I've read I like what u guys got going here! Little LM3886 VS TK2050 thread, so it's a good thing for me to read what people actual think about both of these amps

Hide this!Advertise here!