Beginners first amp - what to choose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What amp should I choose to make?

My compact stereo have developed quite a bad hum, even with no input and the volume turned all the way down. So naturally I want to build my own. I can solder and have some training in electronics, but that's about it.

I have researched different kits a bit, chipamp.com & audiosector.com, which seems like nice kits, but I'm feeling too inexperienced to be sure about what to buy.

I have a pair of Dali Concept 1's: 8ohm, 87db. From what I've read about them 20w. should be enough for our room, but that's a guess on my part :)

What I would like is an amp that plays well with my speakers, has a thorough guide (including powersupply) and is simple to build. A volumecontrol would be nice as well.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks Andrew. I hadn't found the ESP site before you mentioned it. I have, however, read a lot on Decibel Dungeon and here.

Why is my speakers and chipamps not a good combination? Sound quality?
What kind of amplifier should I be looking at instead? I liked the simplicity of the chipamps.

I too like the simplicity of chipamps.
But, I find the current limits in chipamps cripple the potential performance of the system when low efficiency speakers are used at anything above normal conversation level. Quite adequate for background music while washing the dishes.

Wait till you see the flames/grenades fly!

I built an AudioSector LM3875 amp. The online support, especially from Peter Daniel, was excellent. As far as speakers for it; I built a pair of Fostex FE127 Fonkens. This set-up works great together.
I don't know what your listening requirements/habits are, but I like a wide variety of music and I listen in a carpeted room that's approximately 12x16x8.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.