Decoupling Caps, quite interesting - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2003, 08:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Decoupling Caps, quite interesting

I have replaced the 1000uF power decoupling Caps with 2x470uF in parallel today and they do have a difference.

Hard to tell which is better, the sound is more energetic with parallel Caps (good for pop rock), a bit laid back with single Cap....

how about other combinations, like 3x330uF or even 4 to 5x220uF....

will try soon.

cheers.
Old 16th June 2003, 09:00 AM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's interesting mdlover. I'm sure some of the speed and delicacy of the GC's is down to the small amount of capacitance used and perhaps using even smaller caps paralleled gives more of the same!

The GC world awaits the results of your further experiments with bated breath and smoking soldering irons
Old 16th June 2003, 02:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It was also my experience that bass was more pronounced (if not too boomy) with parallel caps, but overall I preferred smotther presentation of single caps.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th June 2003, 04:33 PM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It was also my experience that bass was more pronounced (if not too boomy) with parallel caps, but overall I preferred smotther presentation of single caps.
Peter, correct me if I am wrong but didn't you try paralleled 1000 ufds rather than smaller values?
Old 16th June 2003, 04:42 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

Peter, correct me if I am wrong but didn't you try paralleled 1000 ufds rather than smaller values?
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Peter tested with BGs.
They are different animals.
Anyway, I always bypass the 1000uf caps with 0.1uf and that gives lower PSU impedance at high frequencies.
In these case, I may not notice any difference in using two 470uf caps.
Or the difference would be subtle.
Old 16th June 2003, 06:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

(gotta jump in sometime.....)
I have been trying to do some Spice on the GC power supply and have noticed that at high current levels (= 2 Amps) the electrolytic is recieving very large ( > 10 Amps) charging pulses. For a Panasonic FC type cap this is way over its limit of RMS ripple current - 2.5 amps.
IMHO, it seems the use of two smaller caps would make this less of a problem.
Old 16th June 2003, 06:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

I was playing only with 1000u caps (so 2 x 1000 in parallel).
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th June 2003, 07:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Correct me also if I am wrong I prefer multiple caps and have them bypassed with smaller caps to keep the impedance to ground lower...thats just how I have done my design approach..I find the smaller caps more rugged for power supplies

DIRT®
Old 16th June 2003, 08:02 PM   #9
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Originally posted by crown300
(gotta jump in sometime.....)
I have been trying to do some Spice on the GC power supply and have noticed that at high current levels (= 2 Amps) the electrolytic is recieving very large ( > 10 Amps) charging pulses. For a Panasonic FC type cap this is way over its limit of RMS ripple current - 2.5 amps.
IMHO, it seems the use of two smaller caps would make this less of a problem.
I think that the ripple current would be an average figure and normally quoted at quite a high temperature so the 10 amp pulses may not be that great a problem especially if ( in the real world ) the caps don't get too hot.

cheers

mike
Old 16th June 2003, 09:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
Correct me also if I am wrong I prefer multiple caps and have them bypassed with smaller caps to keep the impedance to ground lower...thats just how I have done my design approach..I find the smaller caps more rugged for power supplies

DIRT®
I also preferred many things that I thought should be appropriate and in line with the usual audiophile wisdom, untill I actually started to listen to what I build. It's not always apropriate any more

Hide this!Advertise here!