Real GainCard vs Gainclone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2003, 09:35 AM   #11
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Konnichiwa Daniel San,

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Check this review for the answer:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...audiozone.html
Not bad at all. Congratulation to an excellent result. Just goes to show....

Sayonara
Old 7th July 2003, 11:28 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Congratulation Peter,

Very nice..

Chris
Old 7th July 2003, 03:13 PM   #13
bqc is offline bqc  United States
diyAudio Member

Impressive amp Peter. Great review.
BTW, do you have to submit your amp for certification with the UL (Underwriter Lab) before
you can sell it commercially?
Old 7th July 2003, 03:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
This is probably a requirement, but we didn't apply for it yet.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th July 2003, 04:02 PM   #15
Banned

Congratulations, Peter, you did it again.
I wish you luck with your project.

A question that I make myself is if the original GainCard is P-P...

Anyway Peter, if you're planning to build and sell plenty of these, you could make PCBs, one per channel, including the pot.
It would be much easier and quick to build.
But man, your P-P always looks good.
Old 7th July 2003, 04:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I was considering PCB, but actually it would be the same amount of work. I would probably only gained on PS caps and LM chip mounting, but all the other connections would have to be done with cables anyway: Input from RCA to pot, pot to PCB, From PCB to binding posts, power suply capbles. I wouldn't place feedback resistor on the PCB also as it is best soldered directly to the IC pins. I also have to justify horrendous price tag. Since it is done P2P, I can always claim custom work and more time involved in production.

I made some jigs, which simplify caps positioning in the blocks as well pins length precutting.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th July 2003, 04:10 PM   #17
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fedde
The gaincard uses a small PCB. There are photos circling around of it on the internet.

The problem with a commercial amp is that you can't change the specs easily after the release! With a PCB and different layout, the amp will likely sound different...

It seems like an awful lot of work to build this amp, Peter! Will you not get enough of it after making a few hundred ?

Fedde
Old 7th July 2003, 04:13 PM   #18
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fedde
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I also have to justify horrendous price tag. Since it is done P2P, I can always claim custom work and more time involved in production.
I think that the price is quite reasonable! You get a better quality of components for the money than with 47 Labs. Though I didn't compare the end result yet
(and DIYing is still much cheaper, but hey...)

Do you do the aluminium work by yourself for all amps !?

Fedde
Old 7th July 2003, 04:15 PM   #19
Banned

Peter, I said the pots mounted on the PCB too.
And even the RCAs and binding posts may be PCB-type, although you may have difficulty in finding decent ones...
Oh, and I make very small "bread-board" circuits and I solder the feedback resistor on the circuit.
But it's so close to the pins (actually, it's directly soldered to them) that I doubt one can do better in P-P.
Well, but you're right, if that's a very expensive amp, you may say it's hand-made with love, dedication and care.
Old 7th July 2003, 04:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm
Peter, I said the pots mounted on the PCB too.
And even the RCAs and binding posts may be PCB-type, although you may have difficulty in finding decent ones...

But to implement this, the whole layout would have to be rearranged and I simple cannot see a better way to do that, that I have currently. Even if it is requires some extra work to complete, I like the 'purity' of the signal path and simplicity of all connections.

With chip mounted on the rear panel and caps sitting directly on the pins, horizontaly, the PCB has to be mounted verticaly. I don't see a way to mount the pot directly to PCB with this arrangement. Also mountong the RCA's and binding posts directly to PCB is not practical when space is so tight.

Hide this!Advertise here!