What OpAmp for CMOYbb? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What OpAmp for CMOYbb?

Well I am considering making the plunge and building my own amp. I figure for my first amp, I am going to build something insanely simple like a CMoy. What OpAmp would you recommend for someone who listens to Electronic, Downtempo/ChillOut/Ambient Jazz, Hip-Hop, Hard Rock and a bit of classical? Maybe those styles are too varied to be held down to one. If so, then divide it up and suggest multiple OpAmps (just let me know which one is best for which style).

I have seen suggestions ALL over the board and have heard certain opamps are better for certain styles, but am having a hard time figuring out which goes with which.

Also, this CMoy is not going to be portable (hopefully, that isn't the CMoy's only advantage) so I can use higher voltage supplies for the OpAmp.

Lastly, the headphones are Koss Pro3aa titaniums, which have an impedance of 60ohms and a sensitivity of 100db SPL/mv

Thanks
Old 8th April 2010, 04:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone? Otherwise, what is important in an opamp that would help me start narrowing down the list. I plan on purchasing multiple OpAmps to try out (up to I think 8-10 but as few as 4).

Any suggested fav's then if the above question can't be answered?
Old 8th April 2010, 05:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just tried a few that I had. I use a 5128A. Sounds good to me. Not much help I know.
Old 8th April 2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Beftus is offline Beftus  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Try an OPA2132 or OPA2134 for starters. I also have a AD8066 on a Doc Brown™ adapter.

Hide this!Advertise here!