Comprimize of power supply voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I plan on building a supply which will power a bridged/paraelle LM3886T similiar to the one in the application note (National's AN-1192) which calls for a +/- 42V. Howevevr, I also want to power 4 individual GainClones using LM3875 or LM1875 chips. Now of course +/- 42V is too much for a GainClone. So I guess what I'm asking is whats considered the uppermost supply voltage that can be used in a GainClone?

Pete

Peter,

For the LM-1875 this is even lower than for the LM3875. The LM1875 has an absolute maximum (datasheet) of +/- 30 Volts DC. But I used a power transformer of -16.5 and +16.5 Volts AC which results in +/- 23 Volts DC after rectification.

The LM3875 has an absolute maximum rating of 84 Vdc rail-to-rail (+/- 42 Vdc), but most on this formum use lower values in order to connect speakers with lower impedance to their gainclone. I used a dual 22 Vac transformer of Plitron/Amplimo which provides +/- 31.1 Vdc after rectification.

Therefore, I do not think it is a good idea to share transformers for these different chips unless you want to put the bridgeclone on a lower supply voltage intentionally.

(project and Power Supply background on http://gainclone.platenspeler.com)

Maarten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.