Power supply for lm3886 chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought this chip amp recently.
Excellent 2 X LM3886+6N11Tube Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 200449560702 end time Mar-22-10 19:52:08 PDT)

Now it asks for a +28V - 0 -28V and I am not finding that 28V exactly. Where do I get that type of transformer/power supply. Or will a higher voltage one work. If I were to buy a power supply and open it and mod it, what would be a good starting point ?

Now it also asks for a 6.3-8V ac in the pre amp board I guess for the tube stage. Is that simply a AC transformer into it, or do I still need to put it through a rectifier bridge ?

Thanks for all the help.

Cool.
Srinath.

I bought this chip amp recently.
Excellent 2 X LM3886+6N11Tube Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 200449560702 end time Mar-22-10 19:52:08 PDT)

Now it asks for a +28V - 0 -28V and I am not finding that 28V exactly. Where do I get that type of transformer/power supply. Or will a higher voltage one work. If I were to buy a power supply and open it and mod it, what would be a good starting point ?

Now it also asks for a 6.3-8V ac in the pre amp board I guess for the tube stage. Is that simply a AC transformer into it, or do I still need to put it through a rectifier bridge ?

Thanks for all the help.

Cool.
Srinath.

This, Antek - AN-4228 , should work for your 28-0-28 transformer.

The 6.3 VAC transformer is for the heaters in the tube. You should find something suitable here: Low Voltage Transformers - 6v to 7v

Too much $

The auction says that the DC supply is on the board, just connect AC 28v-0-28v to the board from a transformer.

OK say I was a bigger cheapskate ... and wanted to yank the transformer out of some sorta trash pile ... what would contain such a transformer ? desktop PC ?

Now would it have to be a toroidal transformer, what about the, rectangular ones with that laminated steel core and what not ? yea a flyback type.

I can put it in a separate box if the vibrations will be bad for the chip amp.

Cool.
Srinath.

Assuming

The text in the auction says just connect a transformer. When I looked at the auction, most of the pictures did not load so I didn't see where the rectifier is on the board. Check your board to see if the rectifier is there.

You give me too much credit ... like I can identify a rectifier if it jumped off the board and bit me in the nose.

Seriously I shouldn't be allowed within 100 ft of an amplifier and shouldn't be allowed to own a soldering iron, but hey, we're in a free country ... so here goes ... 2 min.

Cool.
Srinath.

OK there is a pair of massive capacitors - 50V 10,000 Uf caps, and what I would bet is some sorta rectifier bridge - 4 pin flat chip about 1 inch X 1.5 inch with 4 pins that are +, ~, ~ and - ...
The whole chip amp with the exception of the massive capacitors and that part of the board would fit in a small cigarette box size box. Like my other chip amp.
My bet, its a power supply ... bingo, thanks.
Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.