gainclone distortion problem "help"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i've just build a gainclone amp 3876(altronics australia kit) and i hooked up in a chasiss with tube buffer(x10d clone from e bay),and i have a problem i started it up and on a about half way of a pot start distorting badly(squeeking noise).
I've done a ground star,as i've seen it in books and on the net,help please !

well i separeted all of components and i test just the amp boards and they seem to start distorting(metal sounding,squeiki sound with no power) so problem is not in tube buffer.
but i test those boards and they seemed to be ok,the only thing that is changed since testing is power supply

well i separeted all of components and i test just the amp boards and they seem to start distorting(metal sounding,squeiki sound with no power) so problem is not in tube buffer.
but i test those boards and they seemed to be ok,the only thing that is changed since testing is power supply

Sounds like oscillation. Possible too high of impedance on the input? To help you, schematics are needed and pictures of your rig. Oscilloscope is often a mystery solver.

1. Probably that low power of a power supply unit. What supply voltage without a signal and at distortions? How much falls under load?

2. Try to disconnect one channel - probably that Grounds of the right and left channel among themselves are incorrectly connected

must be something with the power supply,cause i've tried amps before and they were working just fine but since i put them in this amp with this power supply started playing up.
i dont think is a ground cause is connected to the "star".
Must be something with a bypassing caps in a supply or with snubbers on diodes !?
I dont have a drawing to show you guys,thanks anyway for trying to help me !

about half way of a pot start distorting badly(squeeking noise).

It is a bit difficult to guess how that corresponds to the output power, because we don't know how efficient your speakers are, how loud your source is and what pot you got. Is it already much louder than a normal conversation when it starts to distort?

Must be something with a bypassing caps in a supply

Polarity?
Could there be a short (solder sputter, touching wires) at the amplifier output?
Do you have the RF filters installed, especially the combination of RC snubber from output to ground and L||C from output to speaker?
Did you keep the wiring to the input separate from the wiring to the speaker and from the PSU? If you wind transformers, you know what inductive coupling means.

I dont have a drawing

How did you build it without a drawing?
You could also post photos.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.