mounting toroid xfrmr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Instead of mounting the pwr xfrmr with a central bolt, I plan on attaching it to the bottom with several blobs of RTV. RTV is very tenacious and will provide mechanical compliance ... sort of like riding on cushions, or pillows. This should decouple chassis from any xfrmr vibration.

Rob

So, is this a warning if we come round to your place? A disclaimer of liability?

Yes, you can, but it's ill-advised. It's connected to the mains, it's heavy and it may come free unexpectedly at the wrong moment, perhaps when somebody else moves the assembly without unplugging it.

Secure the tx with the securing kit which should have come with it, ensuring you do not create a shorted turn.

w

Instead of mounting the pwr xfrmr with a central bolt, I plan on attaching it to the bottom with several blobs of RTV. RTV is very tenacious and will provide mechanical compliance ... sort of like riding on cushions, or pillows. This should decouple chassis from any xfrmr vibration.

Rob

Do not "glue it" just use a bolt and put some rubber pads to isolate from chassis. Better safe than sorry!!!!;)

I think I'll use the bolt + have it sit on several pads of RTV for vibration isolation.
RTV is actually very tenacious. I've used it in the past for attaching telescope mirrors to their supports, 8-20lb loads which are tilted 90deg. and subjected to constant movement and transport. It is also used for assembling aquarium tanks.

Thx,
Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.