So just how "good" can a chip amp be ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Let me say first off that I haven't used a monolithic power chip for any serious audio work ever... it's always always been discrete.

So an easy question... could you realistically compare (sonically I mean... not on paper specs) a chip amp with any discrete amp that is considered a top performer in it's class.

If you could do a double blind/triple blind/whatever listening test and you didn't know what you were listening to... could the chip amp come out on top ? ... if the design was right.

:)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Candidates;

1. Self-built Chipamp with maxed out components - Black Gates, Holcos, huge transformer vs.

2. Jaton Operetta, a PA-100 design base with a stonking 2KVA transformer vs.

3 Self-built F5 clone with the standard Tech-DIY kit, open chassis, 150 VA transformers - not a single exotic part anywhere.

Speakers: Usher Mini-Dancer Beryllium, source: Buffalo DAC and PC transport.

The F5 simply stomped the other two into the dust. Make no mistake, the chipamps are very good, much better than commercial amps and receivers under $1000 (The operetta is a very good amp in its right). But they were simply no match for the F5 across the board - even though on paper they probably had better specs. The only thing the F5 didn't do was gain, so on some really high-quality recordings you could not really hear anything at all. Probably more sensitive speakers are called for.

Anyway the F5 had a sweeter, more dynamic sound, and developed a very solid bottom end. We also had a chance to test out the $3000 Leben CS300 tube amp, and it had better midrange than the F5, but got beaten everywhere else.

This is a pretty crazy question Mooly, 'can a chip amp objectively have a subjectively better sound?'. That is what you're asking isn't it?

Chip amps can have measurably better performance than discrete amps and for the large part they do, the best ones anyway.

That's all she wrote...

w

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for your comparisons... that's just the kind of info I'm after. I don't think Nelson will getting worried then :)

I quite fancy seeing just what can be done with TDA7293, possibly in two's or three's for driving lowish impedance loads.

As I say, I've never built or listened to a chip amp.
Thanks

Competes well

My proprietary high gain 3886 chip amp competes (according to many others who have listened) well at the $3000 level for a stereo amp. Has 225dB gain at DC and 125dB gain at 10kHz. Vanishingly small distortion. Also features a second order DC servo loop and absolute stability with no output coil or RC network to make it safe or stable. Will drive any load with the correct power supply. Have used them below one ohm on low voltage power supply and worked flawlessly.:D

my 3886 chip amp

I think he meant open loop gain.
But at 10kHz that would imply about 100dB of feedback.
How does he make it stable with that much feedback?

AV=+20 or 26dB gain with feedback. Yes 100dB of feedback at 10kHz. "If your going to use feedback more is better so most is best." quote of John Gordon Iverson. In that vain this amp has a ton of feedback and gain. Works far better than it has any right to and is stable into any kind of load. I could barely get it to ring part of one cycle driving .1µF or .5µF load with 20kHz square wave and no resistance. Full power bandwidth is 110kHz.:D

Has 225dB gain at DC and 125dB gain at 10kHz. Vanishingly small distortion.

Composite amp. Oldest trick in the book. I looked into doing something similar. It can certainly be done, but compensation becomes a major challenge as the amp will not be stable at a closed loop gain of 20 V/V with simple resistive feedback. It's nice to see that someone had the same idea and made it work. Nice work! Could you show some measurement results?

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.