2XLM3886+6N11 tube kit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought this off ebay.

Excellent 2 X LM3886+6N11Tube Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 200449560702 end time Mar-22-10 19:52:08 PDT)

Now I plan to run it as a regular 2 channel amp in the begining and get used to working with it.

However since I have no clue at this point what I am doing, and I think a preamplifier is just an amp that is a smaller amp I am hoping to do this.

Modify that amp to only put out ~4-5 watts. Then split it into 4 of 1 watt each. Then I would run it through a 6 channel TA2020 like the one sold by Arjen here -
Tripath 3 X TA2020 PCB 6 Channel with intergrated SMPS - eBay (item 260552283818 end time Mar-12-10 18:56:15 PST)

Or even the sure electronics - TK2050 X 2 maybe -
4*100 watt @ 4ohm, TK2050 D-class Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 350326577199 end time Mar-12-10 18:47:45 PST)

So is it a useable idea. Would it sound fine though. Like a tube amp but 6 channel. I would like just 1 tube instead of many ... which would reduce the failure points I think.

Anyway what exactly is the output of a preamplifier ?

Thanks in advance.

Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks for replying.

In a way I bought it just for itself. I will run it as a 2 channel and a proper amp for sure, I am still not sure about the "tube amp's sound" as in, I've never heard it, only heard of it ... I can solder well, but I have no clue about electronics, yea I can check for shorts etc etc but that's the extent of it. This amp is to be enjoyed as is first.

The mods and any changes probably are for 6 months down the road, if people here say yea that's doable, or I did it that way and burned the house down, or ... its better to try it this third way.

Now I want a 7.2 or a 5.1 at a minimum with a tube like sound if I end up liking the way this one sounds.
So to avoid buying 4-5 of these and splitting the outputs, if people here suggest its possible and I would still get the tube sound ... I am thinking of cutting down the output of this to 4-5 watts, splitting this 4-5 ways and sending it to 4-5 2 channel chip amps.
If I would retain the tube sound doing it that way, I save myself the $$ of buying 4-5 tube based amps and the pain of building pre amps and splitting them.

So my question really is, 1. Can an amp be used as a pre amp by lowering the output.
2. If I split the output os a tube pre amp will I retain the tube like sound.

Cool.
Srinath.

my general attitude towards things like this is a big GO FOR IT, but I must state that the only way to get the true tube sound is to use tubes all the way through the amp, and especially in the output/power stage.

the LM3886 is a fun little power amp I tried once and was very impressed with the results.

i must admit that i don't fully understand what you wan't from this kit

I am trying to build a 7.2 or atleast a 7.1 system. I want to first experience the tube flavor by putting a tube preamp board onto a digital 3886 amp. Now if I like that, and it does sound tubey, I want to make a 7.1 out of it, wihtout getting more tubes. If at all possible.
So OK, the amp is comming and it has the tube pre amp board in it. I'll run it and get back to this topic.
Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.