chip amp 12V-18V - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2010, 08:39 PM   #1
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default chip amp 12V-18V

I have a chip amp I bought off ebay from lepai electronics.
I am trying to get a power supplu for it. It calls for a 12-18V 2 amp power supply.
What would happen if I run it on a 3.5 amp supply. Would its internal resistance allow it to draw only the amps it needs.
Like I can run it on a car battery and it only pulls the amps it needs ?
Thanks in advance.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 9th March 2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 2A is the minimum requirement, if you ran it on a 40A supply it would still only pull the amount of current needed.
Old 10th March 2010, 03:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks boscoe - I read your post, and left to buy the power supply.

Works perfect ... found a 18v 1.7 amp supply hooked it up and the thing just runs perfect. Just for safety I stayed under the 2 amp cos I am running 18V (the max for it). I got a 2.2 amp one as well for good measure, and a 12v 3.5 amp ... just cos it was all out of a scrap pile ... a buck a piece ...

The lepai amp is great, has the power of the realistic 2080 I was running today, and the delicate detail of the marantz 2220 I run when I feel like getting the sharp details in the music.
Best of both worlds IMHO, I can only imagine how good this wil lsound with a tube buffer in it, and of course it picks FM as well, though my house is under 20ft of hill in my backyard and trees, no signal get through. A bit scratchy ...
I like it a lot. Makes my infinity's sing. Its in fact cleaner than almost anything I have run or even heard, except scott's chip amp really.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 10th March 2010, 03:51 AM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

To be safe you should give it a power supply that has higher amps than what the amp draws, i.e. more amps better.

Worst thing that can happen with underpowered supply is the supply blowing up under sustained high loads and taking out everything else with it.
Old 10th March 2010, 05:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

In a way I have over supplied it, it cannot work with 12V 2 amp and 18V 2 amp, My guess is its fine. However I will get the thing tried out wiht the 18 V 2.3 A I have. or maybe the 12V 3.5. Lets see. Thanks much for the input.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hide this!Advertise here!