chip amp 12V-18V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a chip amp I bought off ebay from lepai electronics.
I am trying to get a power supplu for it. It calls for a 12-18V 2 amp power supply.
What would happen if I run it on a 3.5 amp supply. Would its internal resistance allow it to draw only the amps it needs.
Like I can run it on a car battery and it only pulls the amps it needs ?
Thanks in advance.
Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks boscoe - I read your post, and left to buy the power supply.

Works perfect ... found a 18v 1.7 amp supply hooked it up and the thing just runs perfect. Just for safety I stayed under the 2 amp cos I am running 18V (the max for it). I got a 2.2 amp one as well for good measure, and a 12v 3.5 amp ... just cos it was all out of a scrap pile ... a buck a piece ...

The lepai amp is great, has the power of the realistic 2080 I was running today, and the delicate detail of the marantz 2220 I run when I feel like getting the sharp details in the music.
Best of both worlds IMHO, I can only imagine how good this wil lsound with a tube buffer in it, and of course it picks FM as well, though my house is under 20ft of hill in my backyard and trees, no signal get through. A bit scratchy ...
I like it a lot. Makes my infinity's sing. Its in fact cleaner than almost anything I have run or even heard, except scott's chip amp really.
Cool.
Srinath.

To be safe you should give it a power supply that has higher amps than what the amp draws, i.e. more amps better.

Worst thing that can happen with underpowered supply is the supply blowing up under sustained high loads and taking out everything else with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.