Need Audio Grade Cap for Mute on LM3886 ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hiya guys!

I see a lot of threads on using the mute function to suppress power on pops in the LM3886. But I cannot find any mention of whether or not the type of capacitor will affect the sound quality. Refer to Rm and Cm in the datasheet.

Should I use an audio grade cap, or is a cheap aluminum electrolytic acceptable in this case? My thinking is that if these components have an affect on gain, then it is possible they will affect sound quality.

Thanks for any help you can offer !

Looking at the LM3886 equivalent schematic (see data sheet - or attached figure), the mute function is implemented with an analog MUX that switches the bias current between the main input pair and an input pair that has one input grounded (mute error amp). When the mute function is inactive, the mute circuitry receives no bias current, hence, will have no impact on sound quality.

There is, therefore, no reason to go with a boutique cap on the MUTE input. 100 uF ~ 1000 uF aluminum electrolytic will work just as well. Just make sure it can take the supply voltage.

~Tom

Attachments

• LM3886_EqvSch.PNG
    LM3886_EqvSch.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 486
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.