Chip amp inside a Kenwood receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to build a chip amp inside the housing of a kenwood VR 606 receiver and wire the volume to the kenwood's volume control ?

Basically I'd like to use the remote of the kenwood and the rest of the chip amp because the wife will have my head if I put an amp without a remote in the house ... something about living in 20th century and when taking a phone call reducing the volume in the receiver etc etc.

Thanks in advance.
Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks. Now is the volume control on the receivers (from the late 90's I guess) dependent on the main circuit board. The important thing is I want to pull the input switching capability, the volume control capability but leave the rest of it un un-used.
The other thing I could do is run the chip amp out of the pre out set of outputs. Now do they have a connection to the volume control - probably not I think.
Thanks.
Srinath.

Thanks. Now is the volume control on the receivers (from the late 90's I guess) dependent on the main circuit board.
I don't know the VR-606, so cannot answer that question without a service manual.

The other thing I could do is run the chip amp out of the pre out set of outputs. Now do they have a connection to the volume control
A true pre out should be volume and tone controlled as opposed to a rec out.

That means I just do an external chip amp and run out of the headphone jack in the kenwood ... now is the signal comming out of the headphone outlet in any way changed/amplified/distorted by the cheapo amplifier section of the receiver in any way, or is it the same as what comes out of the cd/dvd/tape player ?
Thanks so much pacific blue. BTW why pacific blue - I liked the TV show about bike cops ... but what is the correlation.
Like on one of the motorcycle websites I called myself "The buddha" after many years of being srinath - just to bug one of my friends on that site who was calling me "buddha" ... so I went like ... you're gonna call me buddha, that is The Buddha to you pal.
Cool.
Srinath.

I am trying to do something similar with Kenwood VR-405. The supply voltage is way too high and will require regulation to bring it down. STK chip amps inside are dead, so I am planning on taking them out and replacing with LM1875 and LM3886 amps. This way, like you, I can use internal switching, volume control and remote functionality.

Here's service manual for your receiver: Kenwood VR606 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Thanks.

I am trying to do something similar with Kenwood VR-405. The supply voltage is way too high and will require regulation to bring it down. STK chip amps inside are dead, so I am planning on taking them out and replacing with LM1875 and LM3886 amps. This way, like you, I can use internal switching, volume control and remote functionality.

Here's service manual for your receiver: Kenwood VR606 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

I got the manual, but this is much cooler.
I however would do the headphones thing in mine, the thing still works, gutting it makes very little sense for me.
Of course I could buy a receiver tha tis dead, but has a remote for next to nothing ... then build the chip amp inside of it. Of course ... I have no clue about chip amps and am likely to blow stuff up the first few attempts.
Cool.
Srinath.

Wow that is cool ... however a dead receiver with a remote is 20 bones or less off craigs list.
I actually am still thinking doing headphone ... cos I can do that right now ... and run my ancient SA1000 realistic stereo amp ...
Of course this is a great option though, and I would keep in mind, and look for a 6 channel volume one too.
Thanks.
Cool.
Srinath.

Wouldn't you know it ... the kenwood died.
Was working sunday when I swapped it for the sa 1000.
Sadly, its not even powering up or having any indication its actually alive. May be a total loss. Well ... good for salvaging some electronical bits ... switches and pots I guess.
Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks. Now is the volume control on the receivers (from the late 90's I guess) dependent on the main circuit board.

The service manual show that the regulated ±12 V come from the power amplifier board. And some of the control signals (e. g. volume control, mute, protection) seem to be routed through that board to others as well.

Why don't you repair that receiver? Replace the STKs and check the surrounding components for damage.

The receiver started working again, I am guessing the 3 days since I un hooked it the remove may have gone into another mode ... hitting source must have got it to re initialise to the receiver.
I'd just use the headphone jack I'm thinking at this point. I'd first run my SA1000 out of that ... then see how I like it.
Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.