Guitar Gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got some lm3886 chips lying around doing nothing so i'm trying to use them up on a project.
I'm using the ESP Guitar Pre amp as input.
Would a typical inverted gainclone have good results?
Can anyone point out on for the lm3886, it doesn't seem as popular as the lm3875 but I read somewhere the same circuit applies but with a mute resister... is this ture?
Thanks

fr0st said:
I've got some lm3886 chips lying around doing nothing so i'm trying to use them up on a project.
I'm using the ESP Guitar Pre amp as input.
Would a typical inverted gainclone have good results?
Can anyone point out on for the lm3886, it doesn't seem as popular as the lm3875 but I read somewhere the same circuit applies but with a mute resister... is this ture?
Thanks

You need a resistor from pin 8 to V- to bypass the mute function. 47K worked fine for me.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
For noisy stuff like guitar would actually suggest non-inverting with guard rings to add HF stability. The long signal cables and high tendency to oscillate or feedback makes a point for non-inverted? IMHO it does.

Inverting does sound better but in a band/gig/jam you may not be able to get that much difference out of your sound. Anyway you're not on tube amp so I don't imagine tone is a priority here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.