looking for some pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Infinia...

Call me, 818 248-0416

These pots have dual 4 pin connections, maybe you can help
me finding out how to check for the taper.

Alps only have a dual 3 pins.

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Going by Infinia's previous description:

Set the 25K pot to halfway, and use a multimeter to take a resistance reading.
If it reads 12.5K it is linear, if it reads 5K it is audio taper.

Use the pins that show a range of 0 - 25K when the pot is rotated clockwise.

Last edited:
When choosing pots I always found that a linear pot used with a law faking resistor gives a good performance. Also if you don't like the attenuation slope you can always change the value of the law faking resistor to give you more adjustment at your preferred listening level.
Personally though I use a stepped switch attenuator - limited adjustment - hair shirt etc, but once listened to its hard to go back:)
Apex jr
looks like you have a linear 50K pot. to use this as a volume control try putting a 5 to 10K resistor between the centre wiper pin and the ground pin.

Hi Steve
on 4 pins/section pots usually 1 of them is a dummy
you should be able to find the wiper easily as its resistance changes in relation to the outer 2 that stay at a fixed resistance of 25K. note this

Q for you on these 2 pots then
Alps 3 pins per section no detent?
Nobel 4 pins/section with center detent?

this should explain everything (see figure 4 here) wiper center is at 120 degrees on chart

Last edited:
looks like you have a linear 50K pot.

central detent... thinking its a balance control thingy
If it's 50K he should of measured that already
maybe one pin is fixed halfway?

"you can always change the value of the law faking resistor" I think so ...that's probably what most of the manufacturers do (so a linear would be the most flexible to get IMO)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.