Which TA2020 amp? Topping TP20, Amp-03, or Lepai LP-2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was hoping to get some advice/opinions on which of these amps sounds the best right out of the box. I don't plan on modding them since I currently lack the expertise, so I would greatly appreciate focusing the topic on the sound in stock form.

I currently have the Dayton DTA-1 (based on the TA2024), but I keep reading that the TA2020 is generally superior. Therefore, I would really like to try out a TA2020-based amp and see which one I like better. However, I don't have tons of cash to buy each of these amps, so I wanted to see what others thought prior to buying one of them.

The amps are:

My thoughts are that the TP20 is the best, but perhaps the Amp-03 might be on par for half as much money... Then there is the good old Lepai which is obviously a bit of a piece of crap, but maybe it has decent sound that may even surpass my current DTA-1?

I would really appreciate some informed opinions on these.:)

Last edited:
I was hoping to get some advice/opinions on which of these amps sounds the best right out of the box. I don't plan on modding them since I currently lack the expertise, so I would greatly appreciate focusing the topic on the sound in stock form.

I currently have the Dayton DTA-1 (based on the TA2024; same as the old Sonic Impact), but I keep reading that the TA2020 is generally superior. Therefore, I would really like to try out a TA2020-based amp and see which one I like better. However, I don't have tons of cash to buy each of these amps, so I wanted to see what others thought prior to buying one of them.

The amps are:

My thoughts are that the TP20 is the best, but perhaps the Amp-03 might be on par for half as much money... Then there is the good old Lepai which is obviously a bit of a piece of crap, but maybe it has decent sound that may even surpass my current DTA-1?

I would be curious to read some informed feedback on these amps, too.

Out of curiosity: what speakers (power & impedance) are you using with the Dayton? I am looking for an amp to drive some Apple pro speakers. Someone suggested the Dayton amp to me, but I'm not sure if I need 2x10w or more for best sound. The 2020 and 2024 are my top candidates, but I'm still looking for feedback.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/161864-amp-drive-modded-apple-pro-speakers.html

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

I currently have the Dayton DTA-1 (based on the TA2024), but I keep reading that the TA2020 is generally superior. Therefore, I would really like to try out a TA2020-based amp and see which one I like better. However, I don't have tons of cash to buy each of these amps, so I wanted to see what others thought prior to buying one of them.

The amps are:

How would anyone be able to say something sensible on this, unless he has tried all tree or four on your speakers, with your source, your cables, etc??

jd

I would be curious to read some informed feedback on these amps, too.

Out of curiosity: what speakers (power & impedance) are you using with the Dayton? I am looking for an amp to drive some Apple pro speakers. Someone suggested the Dayton amp to me, but I'm not sure if I need 2x10w or more for best sound. The 2020 and 2024 are my top candidates, but I'm still looking for feedback.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/161864-amp-drive-modded-apple-pro-speakers.html

I'm using JBL Control Monitors. Here's some info I posted about them at AVS Forums: JBL Control Monitor Speakers - Gut Shots and Informal Review - AVS Forum. The impedance of the JBL's is 8ohms and the sensitivity is 87db. They are more than loud enough for me with the DTA-1, since they are right in front of me as computer speakers; I would say that they would also be plenty loud in almost any small to slightly large room as long as you listen at levels that wont damage your hearing.

I checked out the Apple Pro speakers- given the lack of high frequency driver (tweeter), it doesn't seem like you would get the most out of a decent T-amp; nonetheless, many T-amps are a great low cost option for driving any speakers.

How would anyone be able to say something sensible on this, unless he has tried all tree or four on your speakers, with your source, your cables, etc??

jd

I'm not really sure what you mean? While I know "best sounding" can be subjective, I think that given all of the amps are based on the TA2020 chip, it should be pretty straight forward in my case which amp might sound the best. I just want some help determining that.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]I'm not really sure what you mean? While I know "best sounding" can be subjective, I think that given all of the amps are based on the TA2020 chip, it should be pretty straight forward in my case which amp might sound the best. I just want some help determining that.

Well, if they are all based on teh same chip, how different can they sound? And how would anyone judge that in a way that helps you?

If I tell you that my TOP20 sounds very clean, with a wide sound stage, how does that help you chose?

jd

Well, if they are all based on teh same chip, how different can they sound? And how would anyone judge that in a way that helps you?

If I tell you that my TOP20 sounds very clean, with a wide sound stage, how does that help you chose?

jd

With over 10,000 posts, I'm to assume that you know that the amplifier chip is not the sole component that influences sound quality- at least that is my layperson's understanding. By process of elimination, the balance of components (layout, quality/value of capacitors, etc) would also influence sound quality. My question is oriented towards the latter portion of the equation (components), given I already indicated the amps are based on the TA2020 chip.

I was just looking for a little direction in terms of what amp I should buy. I know there is no absolute answer, but surely there is someone that might be able to articulate that X-amp is better than Y-amp for such and such reason...

I checked out the Apple Pro speakers- given the lack of high frequency driver (tweeter), it doesn't seem like you would get the most out of a decent T-amp; nonetheless, many T-amps are a great low cost option for driving any speakers.

Thanks for the pointer to the JBL Control Monitors and their specs. I'm not sure how 4ohm and 8 ohm speakers compare, so I'm still not sure which TA chip I should go with :) But thanks nonetheless, always good to have input.

And I know the Pro Speakers are not great, but I'm hoping they'll be good enough, along with my sub. I might add a pair of tweeters in the future if that helps – so I might go with the more powerful chip/amp just to be future-proof in that sense.

And I hope someone chimes in with relevant thoughts comparing the 3 ebay amps ;)

Thanks for the pointer to the JBL Control Monitors and their specs. I'm not sure how 4ohm and 8 ohm speakers compare, so I'm still not sure which TA chip I should go with :) But thanks nonetheless, always good to have input.

And I know the Pro Speakers are not great, but I'm hoping they'll be good enough, along with my sub. I might add a pair of tweeters in the future if that helps – so I might go with the more powerful chip/amp just to be future-proof in that sense.

And I hope someone chimes in with relevant thoughts comparing the 3 ebay amps ;)

It is my understanding that 4ohm speakers generate less resistance and therefore will extract more power from most amps, all else being equal. Of course, the sensitivity of the speaker is also relevant; for the low-powered T-amps, I've read speakers with a 90db or greater sensitivity are best, though my 87db speakers work just fine.

For what it's worth, I am really impressed with the DTA-1, and like everyone says, it seems to sound better after a 100 or so hours of playing. I just want to see what a TA2020-based amp has to offer in comparison...

Me too on the last part!:)

TK2050 Amp

The amps are:

You might rather try the newer TK2050 amps so you will have enough power for real speakers.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/143669-sure-electronics-new-tripath-board-tc2000-tp2050.html

The TK seems like a great amp though.

It is a GREAT amp. I've owned a bunch of amps over several decades (tubes and s/s), and the Sure Tripath is the best, especially with a little bit of tweaking and given the proper amount of juice (27-32VDC). Dynamics, slam, detail, unfatiguing listenability, sheer musicality, it's got it all. It's a jewel and the best bargain in audio, methinks.

I think the price in Ebay is higher.As I purchase the Lepai LP-2020 in $14.86 and purchase the adapter with $3.6.The total is $18.46.And I really recommend the Lepai LP-2020 as it is in high performance and stable.The most important it the cheap price which is best for the new player.Also I have used the topping 2020,I purchase in $64,it has the as a larger output, better dynamic range and bass response than other Topping's models.

I am a new member here.I just want to buy a lepai lp-2020 so I came to diyaudio forum to find some professional advise. What I see in Amazon,the price is $19.And if I want the adapter,the price will be $24.So I wonder if there is any other recomendation?

How can I get what you purchase?

I think the price in Ebay is higher.As I purchase the Lepai LP-2020 in $14.86 and purchase the adapter with $3.6.The total is $18.46.And I really recommend the Lepai LP-2020 as it is in high performance and stable.The most important it the cheap price which is best for the new player.Also I have used the topping 2020,I purchase in $64,it has the as a larger output, better dynamic range and bass response than other Topping's models.

Suggest avoiding the Lepai.
It needs ALL it's parts upgraded and the tone controls are worthless/detracting to the sound
This one is much better:
YJ TA2020 20W+20W Class D amplifier board | eBay

I bought it as a replacement while waiting for my Lepai to arrive. MUCH better built /quality very few parts actually need replacement 'as is'.
Adjustment for DC offset alone makes it a contender IMO.
No case included though :)
Power supply :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5A-LCD-...=916370965316883705&pid=100011&prg=1016&rk=1&

Last edited:
Thank you for Lucywy.I just get one from the marcmart you send to me.The price is cheap enough compare what I found from amazon.And I am excited about the getting the product soon.What is more,I notice the kinter AM170 which is sold on $6.85 on promotion,can you show me some advise on it,I am interested on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.