Which TA2020 amp? Topping TP20, Amp-03, or Lepai LP-2020 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
nkx1 is offline nkx1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Which TA2020 amp? Topping TP20, Amp-03, or Lepai LP-2020

I was hoping to get some advice/opinions on which of these amps sounds the best right out of the box. I don't plan on modding them since I currently lack the expertise, so I would greatly appreciate focusing the topic on the sound in stock form.

I currently have the Dayton DTA-1 (based on the TA2024), but I keep reading that the TA2020 is generally superior. Therefore, I would really like to try out a TA2020-based amp and see which one I like better. However, I don't have tons of cash to buy each of these amps, so I wanted to see what others thought prior to buying one of them.

The amps are:
My thoughts are that the TP20 is the best, but perhaps the Amp-03 might be on par for half as much money... Then there is the good old Lepai which is obviously a bit of a piece of crap, but maybe it has decent sound that may even surpass my current DTA-1?

I would really appreciate some informed opinions on these.

Last edited by nkx1; 21st February 2010 at 07:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 11:18 PM   #2
nkx1 is offline nkx1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx1 View Post
I was hoping to get some advice/opinions on which of these amps sounds the best right out of the box. I don't plan on modding them since I currently lack the expertise, so I would greatly appreciate focusing the topic on the sound in stock form.

I currently have the Dayton DTA-1 (based on the TA2024; same as the old Sonic Impact), but I keep reading that the TA2020 is generally superior. Therefore, I would really like to try out a TA2020-based amp and see which one I like better. However, I don't have tons of cash to buy each of these amps, so I wanted to see what others thought prior to buying one of them.

The amps are:
My thoughts are that the TP20 is the best, but perhaps the Amp-03 might be on par for half as much money... Then there is the good old Lepai which is obviously a bit of a piece of crap, but maybe it has decent sound that may even surpass my current DTA-1?

I would really appreciate some informed opinions on these.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:18 PM   #3
doobya is offline doobya  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I would be curious to read some informed feedback on these amps, too.

Out of curiosity: what speakers (power & impedance) are you using with the Dayton? I am looking for an amp to drive some Apple pro speakers. Someone suggested the Dayton amp to me, but I'm not sure if I need 2x10w or more for best sound. The 2020 and 2024 are my top candidates, but I'm still looking for feedback.

Which amp to drive modded Apple Pro Speakers?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx1 View Post
I was hoping to get some advice/opinions on which of these amps sounds the best right out of the box. I don't plan on modding them since I currently lack the expertise, so I would greatly appreciate focusing the topic on the sound in stock form.

I currently have the Dayton DTA-1 (based on the TA2024), but I keep reading that the TA2020 is generally superior. Therefore, I would really like to try out a TA2020-based amp and see which one I like better. However, I don't have tons of cash to buy each of these amps, so I wanted to see what others thought prior to buying one of them.

The amps are:
My thoughts are that the TP20 is the best, but perhaps the Amp-03 might be on par for half as much money... Then there is the good old Lepai which is obviously a bit of a piece of crap, but maybe it has decent sound that may even surpass my current DTA-1?

I would really appreciate some informed opinions on these.
How would anyone be able to say something sensible on this, unless he has tried all tree or four on your speakers, with your source, your cables, etc??

jd
__________________
I won't make the tactical error to try to dislodge with rational arguments a conviction that is beyond reason - Daniel Dennett
Check out Linear Audio Vol 7!
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:48 PM   #5
nkx1 is offline nkx1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobya View Post
I would be curious to read some informed feedback on these amps, too.

Out of curiosity: what speakers (power & impedance) are you using with the Dayton? I am looking for an amp to drive some Apple pro speakers. Someone suggested the Dayton amp to me, but I'm not sure if I need 2x10w or more for best sound. The 2020 and 2024 are my top candidates, but I'm still looking for feedback.

Which amp to drive modded Apple Pro Speakers?
I'm using JBL Control Monitors. Here's some info I posted about them at AVS Forums: JBL Control Monitor Speakers - Gut Shots and Informal Review - AVS Forum. The impedance of the JBL's is 8ohms and the sensitivity is 87db. They are more than loud enough for me with the DTA-1, since they are right in front of me as computer speakers; I would say that they would also be plenty loud in almost any small to slightly large room as long as you listen at levels that wont damage your hearing.

I checked out the Apple Pro speakers- given the lack of high frequency driver (tweeter), it doesn't seem like you would get the most out of a decent T-amp; nonetheless, many T-amps are a great low cost option for driving any speakers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
How would anyone be able to say something sensible on this, unless he has tried all tree or four on your speakers, with your source, your cables, etc??

jd
I'm not really sure what you mean? While I know "best sounding" can be subjective, I think that given all of the amps are based on the TA2020 chip, it should be pretty straight forward in my case which amp might sound the best. I just want some help determining that.

Last edited by nkx1; 23rd February 2010 at 03:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 03:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx1 View Post
[snip]I'm not really sure what you mean? While I know "best sounding" can be subjective, I think that given all of the amps are based on the TA2020 chip, it should be pretty straight forward in my case which amp might sound the best. I just want some help determining that.
Well, if they are all based on teh same chip, how different can they sound? And how would anyone judge that in a way that helps you?

If I tell you that my TOP20 sounds very clean, with a wide sound stage, how does that help you chose?

jd
__________________
I won't make the tactical error to try to dislodge with rational arguments a conviction that is beyond reason - Daniel Dennett
Check out Linear Audio Vol 7!
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 04:04 PM   #7
nkx1 is offline nkx1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Well, if they are all based on teh same chip, how different can they sound? And how would anyone judge that in a way that helps you?

If I tell you that my TOP20 sounds very clean, with a wide sound stage, how does that help you chose?

jd
With over 10,000 posts, I'm to assume that you know that the amplifier chip is not the sole component that influences sound quality- at least that is my layperson's understanding. By process of elimination, the balance of components (layout, quality/value of capacitors, etc) would also influence sound quality. My question is oriented towards the latter portion of the equation (components), given I already indicated the amps are based on the TA2020 chip.

I was just looking for a little direction in terms of what amp I should buy. I know there is no absolute answer, but surely there is someone that might be able to articulate that X-amp is better than Y-amp for such and such reason...
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 07:48 PM   #8
doobya is offline doobya  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx1 View Post
I checked out the Apple Pro speakers- given the lack of high frequency driver (tweeter), it doesn't seem like you would get the most out of a decent T-amp; nonetheless, many T-amps are a great low cost option for driving any speakers.
Thanks for the pointer to the JBL Control Monitors and their specs. I'm not sure how 4ohm and 8 ohm speakers compare, so I'm still not sure which TA chip I should go with But thanks nonetheless, always good to have input.

And I know the Pro Speakers are not great, but I'm hoping they'll be good enough, along with my sub. I might add a pair of tweeters in the future if that helps so I might go with the more powerful chip/amp just to be future-proof in that sense.

And I hope someone chimes in with relevant thoughts comparing the 3 ebay amps
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:11 PM   #9
nkx1 is offline nkx1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobya View Post
Thanks for the pointer to the JBL Control Monitors and their specs. I'm not sure how 4ohm and 8 ohm speakers compare, so I'm still not sure which TA chip I should go with But thanks nonetheless, always good to have input.

And I know the Pro Speakers are not great, but I'm hoping they'll be good enough, along with my sub. I might add a pair of tweeters in the future if that helps so I might go with the more powerful chip/amp just to be future-proof in that sense.

And I hope someone chimes in with relevant thoughts comparing the 3 ebay amps
It is my understanding that 4ohm speakers generate less resistance and therefore will extract more power from most amps, all else being equal. Of course, the sensitivity of the speaker is also relevant; for the low-powered T-amps, I've read speakers with a 90db or greater sensitivity are best, though my 87db speakers work just fine.

For what it's worth, I am really impressed with the DTA-1, and like everyone says, it seems to sound better after a 100 or so hours of playing. I just want to see what a TA2020-based amp has to offer in comparison...

Me too on the last part!
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:44 PM   #10
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default TK2050 Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx1 View Post
I was hoping to get some advice/opinions on which of these amps sounds the best right out of the box. I don't plan on modding them since I currently lack the expertise, so I would greatly appreciate focusing the topic on the sound in stock form.

I currently have the Dayton DTA-1 (based on the TA2024), but I keep reading that the TA2020 is generally superior. Therefore, I would really like to try out a TA2020-based amp and see which one I like better. However, I don't have tons of cash to buy each of these amps, so I wanted to see what others thought prior to buying one of them.

The amps are:
My thoughts are that the TP20 is the best, but perhaps the Amp-03 might be on par for half as much money... Then there is the good old Lepai which is obviously a bit of a piece of crap, but maybe it has decent sound that may even surpass my current DTA-1?

I would really appreciate some informed opinions on these.
You might rather try the newer TK2050 amps so you will have enough power for real speakers.
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 Fin Class D 1921 10th July 2014 05:25 AM
TOPPING TP20 vs TP21 edba2000 Class D 5 17th September 2012 01:19 PM
Topping TP10 Mk3 and Topping TP20 impressons? morfic Class D 200 17th September 2012 07:35 AM
Topping TP20 TA2020 amplifier hoxuanduc Swap Meet 0 25th June 2009 08:14 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2