Which TA2020 amp? Topping TP20, Amp-03, or Lepai LP-2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeal,terrymm.From here: 2 Channel Audio Amplifier - Digital Power Hi-Fi Mini Amplifier for IPOD MP3 DVD MP4 Car
It is in promotion which has time limited.Anyway,you can try it as $6 is just like free since it is free shipping,too.But before it,I think you need the information of it: the chip is: Sanyo LA4625 Chip and it works in two channel.I am a new player,Lucywy is a experienced engineer.If you have some questions,you can ask her.

I'd probably agree with the 2nd part about the tone controls, but "ALL" I would consider to be a gross exaggeration.

Perhaps so.. But certainly ALL the discrete bits: Volume Pot, All caps including input and output ones, inductors ..All needed replacing on my versions to Equal the sound from my DIY Tripath schematic circuit build.
Surprised me too. Clearly they fitted bottom of the barrel bits.
Sadly I own a pair of the lepais', clearly a lesser choice in retrospect
Lepai does sound decent when all is done... as it should, when cost of
new' bits equals it's purchase price :rolleyes:
However, the simple impulse buy YJ unit sounded 'at least' as good as my modded Lepai's... right out of it's mailer.
Hey! it even has (real?) wima's lots of them and decent inductors.. oem
PLUS variable resistors for setting DC offset.
Very nice as even the Tripath circuit does not have that wee 'upgrade'.
Still, I upgraded the PS caps though :D

I just plugged in a topping TP20mark 2. Awesome!!! Straight out of the box, it gives my Pass F5 a run for its money. Absolutely amazing.

I have owned a Chalize mark2 in the past, and that was also a breath taker, but I lost it so can't give a direct comparison.

The topping however is a total steal.

I know, what the hell?

I have a Havana DAC and a pair of full range MA alpair 10.3's in QWTL. A respectable set up, and the Topping is doing so much right, so clean and musical and plenty of bass. I'll post again in a week or two, keep th TP in the system and see if it matures, or perhaps becomes fatiguing.

But I can say, hand on heart, it's a beaut of an Amp and opens up some serious scope for bi amping with active crossovers or some kit from the mini dsp crew.

Do build the F5 if you have the bits, it's a great feeling to complete such a thing, and addictive ;) I'm planning an Aleph J sometime soon, I like a tube like sound.

Good fortune with your projects

Ok, I've had several hours to listen and compare now.

1. It's remarkably hard to choose between these two amps.

2. The F5 does everything people say it does, of the two amps it seems to be slightly more coherent in the mids and slight edge in the LF when the music gets complicated.

3. The Topping has more bass, and it's GOOD bass, nice and full with punch.
It also has a sparkle where the F5 exhibits precision, especially HF.

4. And I'm amazed to say it. The topping is more fun, more engaging musically.

5. The F5 wins with human vocals, so real that you could almost reach out and touch the sound. Topping is also excellent with vocals, just a shade more 2 dimensional.

6. F5 is analytical and precise, impressive all round, ALLWAYS. But every time I switched back to the topping I felt like I had just bumped into a dear friend, and thought, cripes your good.

One word for each? F5 masterful, Topping joyful.

One caveat - F5 has been suggested as not a love match in heaven with FR speakers. Digital amps regularly recommended as mates for FR.

Sorry if I just muddied the waters further :) but I would grieve the loss of either of these amps equally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.