Can I have the sub woofer channel and the left and right channel as one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I salvaged an amp from an old computer stereo system, I have tested it and it all works out of the enclosure. i want to make a little dock for my iPod and have just one speaker in it. I want the left and right (which i have already done) and then the sub woofer channel (i don't really know what to call it!!!) attached to the speaker is this possible? I tried it but i think it just shorted the amp but its all fine. I know this made sound a ridiculous question but i am new to this!! Thanks

So you want to Combine all 3 speaker outputs into one single speaker output ??

This is a Good way to Blow your amp , You can not connect all the speaker outputs together and expect to get a mix of all 3 outputs .....

I suggest you take 3 speakers and put them in a small box and wire the 3 speaker outputs one to each speaker .......

Cheers

It will Fail eventually , the only reason why it didn"t fail right off the bat is because the amps are odviously very low powered , in a High powered amp they would have Failed pretty much instantly or would have gone into protection .....

If you want the Left and right to be summed and and to come out of a single speaker you should connect the left and right output of your Ipod and run that through either the left and right amp and into a single speaker and leave the sub disconnected .....

Cheers

It will Fail eventually , the only reason why it didn"t fail right off the bat is because the amps are odviously very low powered , in a High powered amp they would have Failed pretty much instantly or would have gone into protection .....

If you want the Left and right to be summed and and to come out of a single speaker you should connect the left and right output of your Ipod and run that through either the left and right amp and into a single speaker and leave the sub disconnected .....

Cheers

He could also go buy a stereo speaker :0 that would be good for him :) Depending on the power of this unit i expect about 7-8 watts.!

I salvaged an amp from an old computer stereo system, I have tested it and it all works out of the enclosure. i want to make a little dock for my iPod and have just one speaker in it. I want the left and right (which i have already done) and then the sub woofer channel (i don't really know what to call it!!!) attached to the speaker is this possible? I tried it but i think it just shorted the amp but its all fine. I know this made sound a ridiculous question but i am new to this!! Thanks

Just try again, but putting a small value resistor, something on the order of 5 to 10 ohms, in series with each speaker positive output before you common them into one connection. You can common all the speaker negative wires. Give this a try at low volume and see if it works. If the sub channel shorts again, it probably means that it is bridged. Then try adding a similar resistor between the sub negative and commoned negative of the right and left speakers and see if this works. Using resistors like this is inefficient, but if that's what you want, go ahead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.