|Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|6th June 2003, 02:59 PM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: austin, tx
most basic noob questions
I'll be starting work on my first amp, a gainclone, soon. I've been trying to educate myself on amps and seem to have the majority of info to my understanding, but some things still are fuzzy to me. I have a set of 2-way speakers I'm currently building that I'd like to bi-amp, and want to do this with gainclones. Here come the questions:
1. I hear mention of Monoblocks. Does this term mean something like "not stereo"? If so, and I want stereo, how many do I need to build
2. positive and negative supply "rails". Are these physical rails or is this a term used for the positive and negative connections coming from the power supply?
3. How does one going about obtaining "samples" of the chips? I'll be laid-off next week and am looking to cut as many corners as I can with the $
It's a start....
|6th June 2003, 05:45 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: most basic noob questions
2. A typical bipolar power supply has 3 connections: +,ground,-
The + and - are refered to as rails.
3. Check out manufacturers websites for samples:
The most common chip amp are the gainclones, which usually implement a LM3875 from National.
My girlfriend's sub is bigger than mine...
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Noob questions about a K-12/K-502 kit||poynterama||Tubes / Valves||6||20th August 2008 10:54 PM|
|Yet Another Set of Noob GC Questions||Thomo||Chip Amps||2||23rd February 2007 12:10 PM|
|Noob Questions...||MrGeebs||Solid State||7||24th March 2006 03:17 AM|
|Few noob questions||Richie V6||Chip Amps||1||7th December 2004 05:02 PM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|