most basic noob questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2003, 03:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default most basic noob questions

I'll be starting work on my first amp, a gainclone, soon. I've been trying to educate myself on amps and seem to have the majority of info to my understanding, but some things still are fuzzy to me. I have a set of 2-way speakers I'm currently building that I'd like to bi-amp, and want to do this with gainclones. Here come the questions:

1. I hear mention of Monoblocks. Does this term mean something like "not stereo"? If so, and I want stereo, how many do I need to build
2. positive and negative supply "rails". Are these physical rails or is this a term used for the positive and negative connections coming from the power supply?
3. How does one going about obtaining "samples" of the chips? I'll be laid-off next week and am looking to cut as many corners as I can with the $

It's a start....

tim s
Old 6th June 2003, 06:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: most basic noob questions

Quote:
Originally posted by timsch75
1. I hear mention of Monoblocks. Does this term mean something like "not stereo"? If so, and I want stereo, how many do I need to build
2. positive and negative supply "rails". Are these physical rails or is this a term used for the positive and negative connections coming from the power supply?
3. How does one going about obtaining "samples" of the chips?
1. A typical stereo amplifier has 2 channels: left and right. A monoblock has only 1 channel, so you would need 2 monoblocks.

2. A typical bipolar power supply has 3 connections: +,ground,-
The + and - are refered to as rails.

3. Check out manufacturers websites for samples:
www.national.com
www.analog.com
www.maximic.com
www.ti.com

The most common chip amp are the gainclones, which usually implement a LM3875 from National.

Hide this!Advertise here!