Tda1562 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2010, 11:29 PM   #1
bicikle is offline bicikle  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Default Tda1562

I just build an car amplifier using single(one) Tda1562, but i like to upgrade with output transistors, or to connect two amplifiers in paralel(in- with in-; out+ with out+; gnd with gnd.) So, can somebody help me please?
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Another question about the TDA1562

I am a newbie, so I can't answer you question. But I have one of my own. What did you use for volume control, as well as tone control? (See my new thread.)

The Happy Hippy
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Please do a search on this forum for TDA1562 and read all the hits. If you still have questions then post your specific question and you will receive many responses.

You have many options.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicikle View Post
i like to upgrade with output transistors, or to connect two amplifiers in paralel
To achieve what?
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:00 PM   #5
bicikle is offline bicikle  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

to get more amps, e.c. to connect 1(2x2 in parallel)ohm speaker.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

In theory it is possible to connect those ICs in parallel. In practice it takes well matched feedback circuits, if you don't want to run into trouble. It is not very likely that they are well matched, and since they are internal you cannot do anything about it. You may be better off connecting the 2 x 2 Ohm speakers in series, which gives you 4 Ohm.

The transistor solution is also not likely to work well, because the TDA1562 is internally a class H amplifier. You will need an additional (24 V?) power supply to get the corresponding higher supply voltage for the external transistors. The TDA1562 is also internally a bridged amplifier, which means you need double the amount of transistors as compared to a normal chipamp with transistors. In the end this will turn out to be pretty complicated and expensive.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificblue View Post
In theory it is possible to connect those ICs in parallel. In practice it takes well matched feedback circuits, if you don't want to run into trouble. It is not very likely that they are well matched, and since they are internal you cannot do anything about it. You may be better off connecting the 2 x 2 Ohm speakers in series, which gives you 4 Ohm.

The transistor solution is also not likely to work well, because the TDA1562 is internally a class H amplifier. You will need an additional (24 V?) power supply to get the corresponding higher supply voltage for the external transistors. The TDA1562 is also internally a bridged amplifier, which means you need double the amount of transistors as compared to a normal chipamp with transistors. In the end this will turn out to be pretty complicated and expensive.
Hi PacificBlue!
What do you think of LA4628 with 8 output transistors?
According to MCM, that chip is "often purchased with Sanken output transistors" however, other clues on this tempting prospect, were absent. How does one make such an amp?
Old 4th February 2010, 08:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I don't think much of adding transistors to power op amps. You need to add an external bias stage for the power transistors, although you already have one inside the IC and you don't make good use of the internal power transistors.

For designers who cannot or will not design their own driver stages, the industry offers driver ICs, e. g. TDA7250 or the LME49800 series.

The LA4628 is an internally bridged 20 W into 4 Ohm amplifier that runs from a 13,5 V single supply. You would need one pair of transistors and a bias stage for each output pin to get the two bridged output stages. The result would be increased output current and THD with decreased output voltage.
Old 5th February 2010, 08:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificblue View Post
I don't think much of adding transistors to power op amps. You need to add an external bias stage for the power transistors, although you already have one inside the IC and you don't make good use of the internal power transistors.

For designers who cannot or will not design their own driver stages, the industry offers driver ICs, e. g. TDA7250 or the LME49800 series.

The LA4628 is an internally bridged 20 W into 4 Ohm amplifier that runs from a 13,5 V single supply. You would need one pair of transistors and a bias stage for each output pin to get the two bridged output stages. The result would be increased output current and THD with decreased output voltage.
Wow man! That explanation as clear as a bell! Thanks!

Well, of course the output stage in this case would have to run higher voltage.

The effort to boost a chip amp is looking pretty silly because it requires the majority of a discrete amp to do it. lol! Oh, I get it now. You would normally expect more work for less results, except. . .

Personally, that wasn't my point. My reason for asking is that great sounding, ear-friendly, chips do exist, some are very clean, and some, like LM1875 come with a endearing performance that verges into areas we have only begun to measure. They have only one thing in common, and that is, insufficient output power. So, it seems that a good reason (maybe the only good reason) to use a power op amp as a pre-drive is that you happen to like its harmonic output. One would not expect the "booster" effort to make any more or any less audio degradation than adding a preamplifier to an audio system that doesn't require it.
Is this bit correct?
Old 5th February 2010, 03:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
Well, of course the output stage in this case would have to run higher voltage.
That would not help. The driving stage determines the output voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!